cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update not working on early 2008 MBP with intel 320 120GB SSD

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've got a 2008 Macbook Pro 4.1 running 10.7.1 and an Intel 320 120GB SSD. I downloaded the Firmware update on the intel site and burned it too a CD. Booted up the CD and the fireware update says "Intel SSD is not attached or disabled." I've tried a couple times. Same thing. I've also read in other Mac forums that people with similar 2008 MBPs are having the exact same problem.

Any ideas?

thx

8 REPLIES 8

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

try to switch controller mode to IDE in bios/efi or whatever mac have instead of it.

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18363/eng/README.txt http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18363/eng/README.txt

BIOS STORAGE CONFIGURATION This tool will only function correctly with the BIOS SATA ports configured to "Legacy"/"Compatibility" mode or "AHCI" mode. Some BIOS configurations support SATA port modes such as "IRRT", "RAID", and "Native + IDE" mode, which are not supported by this utility.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately you can't do that on Macs. They use EFI and OSX does not give you access to it. At least I've never heard of a way to do that.

len

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is not a fix, it's a workaround. Maybe you could take out the ssd from your mac and connect it on a PC and update the firmware from the other computer, then move it back to your mac. If you get the same error message while updating the firmware on the PC change drive mode to IDE on the BIOS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Junpi,

Installing the intel 320 SSD in my early 2008 Macbook Pro was tough to say the least. Had to take apart almost the entire laptop. Was surprised I didn't break anything in the process. So taking the SSD drive out and finding someone with a windows machine to install it in and then reinstalling it in my MBP really isn't an option. Hopefully intel will do something to fix this firmware install problem.

thx

len