cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update tool???

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So, I got word of the updated firmware for intel SSD today.

This seems like a good thing as I don't want to brick my 320/160GB!

Trouble is, the tool doesn't appear to work with my system (Gigabyte ep45-ud3r).

I've read the directions and watched the video and followed them both to the very letter.

I've burned a series of ISO discs with different burning programs and tried more than one Optical drive all to no avail.

The system cold-boots (as per the instructions) and the POST screens all flash up for a moment.

But when the system goes to load an OS, all that happens is that the word FreeDOS appears with a blinking cursor immediately behind it.

That's it, and I'm fairly certain that same screen would remain up there all night long were I not to ctrl-alt-del out of it.

I've seen this happen about twenty times now, and believe that I'm wasting my time.

Yes, the drives are all set to AHCI in the BIOS.

Something really does appear to be crashing the FreeDOS proggy, but I have no idea whatsoever as to what that might be.

Thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That's probably what I'll try next.

I'll post as to how it turns outs.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The SATA Mode of "Disabled" is just a different name for "Legacy","Compatibility", or "IDE" mode. Each motherboard manufacturer calls it a different thing.

Just set your storage contoller to this SATA mode and then boot on the disk. Don't forget to re-enable your original SATA mode after rebooting.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Looks like you're right. A quick look at the motherboard manual shows the following,

SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) 1Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Intel ICH10R Southbridge orconfigures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Disabled - Disables RAID for the SATA controllers and configures the SATA controllers toPATA mode. (Default) RAID - Enables RAID for the SATA controllers. AHCI - Configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode. Advanced Host ControllerInterface (AHCI) is an interface specification that allows the storage driver toenable advanced Serial ATA features such as Native Command Queuing andhot plug.