cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware upgrade after windows installation

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Sorry if it is a question already answered, but I cannot find it and having read all these posts on firmware upgrade problems, I just want to be sure.

I just received my new x25-m g2 80 GB and I don't want to upgrade firmware until Intel comes out with a new one, hopefully without problems. My question is: if I install Windows 7 now, with firmware 1.3, and I upgrade later to 1.4 or whatever will be, will Windows TRIM be aware of old data blocks erased (and in need to be TRIMMED), or it will only be aware of data blocks erased after firmware update?

It is a pain for me to watch my Intel ssd and not to install W7 instantly But if I have to reinstall it later, it is better not to have a useless write/reinstall on ssd cells. Thanks for answers.

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Put that puppy to use!! You are fine to install 7 onto it immediatley. Windows 7 will properly alingn and partition the SSD and you will be stunned at the performance. The SSD Toolkit can be used to clean up any existing areas once the new firmware is ready.

DZand
Contributor III

[quote]The SSD Toolkit can be used to clean up any existing areas once the new firmware is ready.[/quote]....unless you are running the SSD in RAID mode, because the SSD Toolkit doesn't work with RAID systems.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My single SSD on a ICH10R chipset which is set to RAID mode (to allow my HD RAID array to work) but my SSD is not RAIDed. What will happen in this situation with the toolkit? I assume the TRIM command doesn't get passed to my SSD as my chipset in in RAID mode and I should schedule the toolkit to run the cleanup as if I wasn't using Win 7. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks

DZand
Contributor III

As I already have written within my previous post you will not be able to use the SSD Toolkit for an SSD, which is running in "RAID Mode".

Another question is, if the TRIM command will be transmited to the RAID'ed SSD while running Win7. The "Intel(R) Matrix Storage Manager Technology" RAID drivers do not support the TRIM command, but maybe the upcoming AHCI/RAID driver generation of the "Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology" (RST) will do it.

I am running the not yet official RST driver v9.5.0.1037 and they gave my 2x160 GB Intel X25-M (2G) RAID0 system a big boost of performance (compared to the MSM driver v8.9.0.1023).