cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware upgrade via USB key

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

Is there any way to upgrade the firmware using a USB key instead of a CD-ROM drive ???

I don't have any CD-ROM drive in my system. Very annoying that Intel doesn't propose an alternative way!!!

thanks for your support

nalooti

4 REPLIES 4

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I upgraded my firmware via a USB boot key. My USB key boots to Microsoft's Windows Millenium DOS. I use it to create Ghost backups.

Copy the Intel firmware file, from the ISO image, to the USB key. Boot to the USB key DOS and run the firmware exe. Upgraded fine for me.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks very much for this news.

Actually your reply has another interesting info : Ghost recovery CD on USB key.

I also plan to do this and found the following:

http://krisrowland.wordpress.com/2008/09/26/boot-norton-ghost-14-srd-from-a-usb-stick/

are you using this method ?

do you have Ghost 15 ? (I wonder if this method -which is written for Ghost 14- also works for Ghost 15)

Now, back to SSD firmware upgrade, I understand that I must make my USB key bootable following the method described in the above page and then instead of copying the Norton Ghost CD, I just copy the Intel firmware ISO file.

Is this right ?

One thing I don't understand is that in the above method, I have to boot with Ghost recovery CD first. Then, how will I copy the Intel ISO file ? Can I boot normaly with W7 after I made the key bootable and then copy the Intel ISO file while in W7 ?

Many thanks for your support

nalooti

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

You don't copy the ISO, just the iSSDFUT.exe from within the ISO image. Use WINRAR, or another ISO image program to extract the .exe from the ISO image.

I use Ghost 11.5, for DOS.