cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forthcoming M.2 interface cable for 750-series 2.5" NVMe SSD

KEldr
New Contributor

For the forthcoming M.2 interface cable to be shipped (under a separate SKU) with the 750-series 2.5" NVMe SSDs; will this be available with alternate mounting/securing holes (at the 2260 mark in particular), or can the interface board be drilled out in that position? I want to use this drive (once the proper M.2 interface cable is available) with a MSI miniITX board, but said board only supports up to a 2260 M.2 for proper securing… Please advise…!!!

10 REPLIES 10

KEldr
New Contributor

Thank you for the reply…

Not asking for a third SKU to be added (SSD + current U.2 connector cable / SSD + above pictured M.2 connector cable / SSD + hypothetical 2260-length M.2 connector cable), but simply asking if a securing hole (either from the factory, or added by the end user) can be located SAFELY at the 2260 mark ON THE CURRENT M.2 connector (again, as pictured above)…?!?

Thanks again!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Boil,

Can you please check your private messages?Thanks.NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Boil,

Here is our response:We do not recommend or support modifying/altering the cable. There is no circuitry that should be impacted if a hole was drilled at 60mm, but without further experimentation, we cannot assume that drilling a hole or cutting off the board at 60mm would not impact the ground plane on the board. At this time, the current 80mm design is the only design planned and validated.Please let us know if you have any other question.NC

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Boil,

We are following up the thread and we would like to know if any further assistance is required.We will be waiting for your response.NC

KEldr
New Contributor

Thanks for the replies…!

I guess I will have to just forgo the MSI Z170 mITX motherboard, as I do not want to chance damaging the M.2-based interface cable for the 750 Series 2.5" NVMe SSD… Shame MSI had to go with such a sub-optimal choice for M.2 compatibility, especially as most popular M.2 SSDs these days ARE of the 2280 variety…!