cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Four Intel X- 25 M 80 GB Raid 0 performance

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello, I am new to intel forums and looking for some information.I just finished installing latest firmware and Windows Ultimate 64 bit along with all drivers. I ran a bench for my RAID 0 performance and something does not add up right. I should be getting over 800 mb read but I am not getting those type of numbers. To bench my raid I used HD Tune Pro 4.60 and these are the results.

Minimum = 555.4 MB/s

Maximum = 697.3 MB/s

Average = 621.0 MB/s

Access Time = 0.082 ms

Burst Rate = 5662.9 MB/s

CPU usage = 3.0 %

System Specs

I7 950 Bloomfield D0 @ 4.21

EVGA 4 Way Classified Bios.82

Corsair Ram CMT6GX3M3A2000C8 12 GB total @ 8-9-8-24-88 2T 2000 mhz

Corsair AX 1200 PSU

EVGA GTX 570 HD 3x

Sound Blaster X-Fi fatality pci-e

Intel X -25 M 80 GB 4x in Raid 0 mode

Cpu is water cooled along with my motherboards NB,SB and Mosfet. Not sure what could be the bottleneck

6 REPLIES 6

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The ICH10R peaks at aroun 650-750MB/s sequential reads so the RAID controller is the bottleneck. You might be able to squeeze higher synthenic numbers if you use deeper queue depths and large fliles.

However, this is actually great for an onboard controller. If you want more sequential throughput, you will need to invest in a discrete hardware RAID controller ($150+).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Why do you think you should be seeing over 800 MB/s read speeds? What is that figure based on or how is it calculated?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Probably 250MB/s sequential read for each drive times 4... then minus some for imperfect scaling.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Duckie, Yes, that is one obvious but IMO rather simplistic method of determining what the result "should" be. Things are rarely that simple and the entire system must be taken into account. As you mentioned, there is a limit to what the SATA controller can provide. I've never seen the figure you mentioned in any of the ICH10 documents, I'm not questioning it and might have missed it. I wonder if differences in the RAID driver and its settings would make any difference.