cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh X25-M 34nm Firmware install.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello all,

I just bought a X25-M Gen-2 160GB and I have a question about install and the TRIM firmware upgrade. I have read the issues on Windows 7 users flashing the new TRIM firmware and it making their drives unusable. If I did the Firmware install on my blank X-25M before I install the OS, would I run into the same problem? Have any users reported updating the firmware on a new blank X25-M before installing Windows 7 and having the drive go bad?

Would everyone here just keep the old firmware, install Windows 7 and then worry about installing the new TRIM firmware down the road whenever Itel releases it with the fix? Obviously that would be the safe bet, but if the current TRIM firmware that was pulled from download would work no problem on a new drive I don't see the harm in going that route. Obviously I would need to find the Firmware from someplace other then Intel's download site since it has pulled. One last question: has Intel said how long it will take to get the TRIM firmware out with the fix in place?

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I went through exactly that process earlier this week, i.e. purchased a new X25-M 160GB with the 2G firmware and first upgraded to the 2H firmware. Did not have any problems and running Windows 7 Enterprise just fine.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

hi aublumberg,

Could you tell us detailed configurations of your system? I'm wondering if you are using AHCI mode, and in that case, which AHCI driver you are using.

I'm curious that if there would be no problems after you run Optimizer on your ssd, but for now I wouldn't ask you to try...

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Am using a stock standard Lenovo Thinkpad X61 Tablet, further details in the other post (02H Poll).

After upgrading the X25-M firmware, did a fresh install of W7 (32-bit) and updated all patches, both Microsoft as well as Lenovo (via System Update 4.0 tool).

No problems.

I didn't "run Optimizer" since no need to do so manually under W7.