cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full Diagnostic Scan always fails during Read Scan on my SSD 600p Series 256GB

badstink
New Contributor

I have an Intel SSD 600p Series 256GB. I installed the Intel Solid-State Drive Toolbox software on my computer to help look for possible drive problems.

(I am unable to back up my C: drive to Synology DiskStation using their Active Backup for Business software. Synology support team says the error logs indicate it's due to hard drive errors.)

SMART Summary shows perfect Drive Health and estimated life remaining is above 90%. Firmware version is PSF121C. Quick Diagnostic Scan works perfectly. But the Full Diagnostic Scan fails every time on Read Scan at 0%. The error given is "Error: An error was detected reading data from the selected Intel SSD. Contact your reseller or local Intel representative for assistance."

The only issues I've had are that I cannot back up the hard drive to Synology and the Toolbox's Full Diagnostic Scan does not complete successfully.

How can I resolve these two issues?

11 REPLIES 11

I attempted to use Acronis Drive Cleanser software. The first step in that software application attempts to detect my drives. It gave a popup that says "This product edition requires at least one Intel SSD drive to be installed in your system. You can upgrade to the latest unrestricted version of Acronis True Image at http://www.acronis.com/promo/intelssd/." and the Continue button is greyed out and cannot be selected. I am unable to perform low level format using that software.

I am unable to perform Secure Erase using the Intel SSD Toolbox because the C: drive I wish to format contains my OS and it is my boot drive. The instructions in Secure Erase indicate that this operation cannot run on boot drives or drives with a partition.

Are there any Intel products that can be used to fix this issue? It seems none of the ones you have suggested will work.

Do I need to use a 3rd party product instead?

Santiago_A_Inte
Contributor III

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

We have received the SSU Logs

Please let us know the results, after performing the Low-Level Format procedure as recommended previously.

Always back up your software before you run a low-level format or secure erase.

You just need to follow the indications on the article recommended. Open Link for details: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html we recommend any or the 3rd party tools as indicated in the article.

We will be looking forward to your reply.

Have a nice day;

Santiago A.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

A Contingent Worker at Intel

In support article 000006198 that you linked above, the instructions state:

"Several Intel® tools have the capability to perform a low-level format or secure erase. Some recommendations are located at the following support page along with how-to instructions: Three Ways To Run Low-Level Format Using Intel® Software Tools."

As I mentioned earlier, all 3 of the methods listed the "Three Ways to Run Low-Level Format Using Intel Software Tools" document do not work for me and here are the reasons:

Method 1: The Secure Erase option doesn't work because my SSD drive is partitioned and is a bootable OS drive.

Method 2: The Intel Data Management's Active Drive Cleanser option doesn't work because it doesn't recognize my SSD as an Intel SSD. It wants me to upgrade to a non-free version of Acronis True software.

Method 3: I created a bootable rescue media and then rebooted off of the CD. When the app came up I attempted to use Active Drive Cleanser and ran into the same issue as Method 2... the software doesn't realize that my Intel SSD is actually an Intel SSD.

You may wish to file a report within Intel about the bug in Acronis's software. It should recognize that my Intel SSD 600p Series 256GB is really an Intel SSD. If this bug were fixed it would have saved me a couple hours of wasted effort.