cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G1 trim support

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel, will you ever explain why trim will not be provided for Gen 1 drives? Enthusiasts spend a high premium for new technology that is often problematic and not fully utilisable at first release. Not only do enthusiasts pay a premium they also help iron out teething problems. Now it appears that there is an added price of having support removed.

It just does not make sense to not give trim to gen 1 users and I can imagine that if you are retailer with gen 1 drives it must be hard to shift them.

Is it technically not possible or is it just a short sighted marketing policy?

This year Intel ssd's will no longer be top performers so G1 owners that are unhappy with performance degradation are not likely to get a g2.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm also very disappointed by Intel. I bought a G1 drive just a few months ago and it was conscious decision towards Intel because I thought that one of the market leaders would give better support to its own products. It's a slap in the face of every consumer of a premium product to abandon it so soon. PLEASE INTEL give us at least trim support for our G1 drives!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you want to show Intel that people pay attention when large corporations don't properly support their customers (ESPECIALLY use early adoptors!) sign this petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/intel-x25-m-g1-trim/ http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/intel-x25-m-g1-trim/

Post the link to this petition on other SSD related sites and particularly w.r.t. Intel SSD (even Gen 2) topics. Make sure potential customers of Intel's SSDs know what kind of long-term support to expect (or, more acurately, that they will not be well supported over time)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for the hint, I already signed. Now let's hope Intel listens to the people who paid money for their products.

PCoup1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

"Thanks for the hint, I already signed. Now let's hope Intel listens to the people who paid money for their products."

They won't. Hasn't anybody realised yet that Intel don't give a shit?

The only thing you can do is vote with your feet, which is rather difficult because Intel make the best products. Intel know this, which is why they get away with what they get away with.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

My G1 drive finally starts to slow down. As Intel still does not support the trim command, what can I do to get the speed back? Does format & reinstall help? This is a premium product sold at a premium price - I'm very disappointed.