cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GBs Wriiten to SSD 750

jjoe
New Contributor

Good morning,

It seems the new Toolbox is different in displaying the actual number of GBs written to the SSD 750.

Based on the attached export, can you please confirm that the "Data Units Written" row indicates the 750 has written 3571.76 GB of actual data?

Sorry if this seems like an obvious question but I have just read so much seemingly conflicting information regarding this.

Thanks, in advance.

8 REPLIES 8

jjoe
New Contributor

Yes, I need further assistance. Please clarify my original question about the number of GB written to the 750. I am still not 100% clear on your previous replies.

According to the attached file, is 3571.76 GB the actual number of written GBs? Knowing the answer to this question will give me a guideline for usage.

Thanks.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Jpasint,

My apologies for the whole confusion, please let me clarify on this:The data units written contains the number of 512 byte data units the host has written to the controller; this value does not include metadata. This value is reported in thousands (i.e., a value of 1 corresponds to 1000 units of 512 bytes written) and is rounded up. When the LBA size is a value other than 512 bytes, the controller shall convert the amount of data written to 512 byte units. For the NVM command set, logical blocks written as part of Write operations shall be included in this value. Write Uncorrectable commands shall not impact this value.So, basically it is data written to the controller and does not include metadata.Metadata: The metadata is used for the management of the stored information or data in the NAND flash memory. The metadata generally includes, a logical-to-physical address mapping table of the stored information, information of attributes of the stored information, and any other data that can assist in the management of the stored information.Let us know if you require further assistance.Regards,NC

jjoe
New Contributor

I was really still not clear after your latest answer so I did a test of writing 150 GBs to a temp folder.

The "Data Units Written" increased by exactly 150 GBs.

So, it appears that the "Data Units Written" is exactly just that, the number of GBs written to the 750.

I just don't understand why all the answers in this thread couldn't simply state such.

Guess I should have done my test sooner.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Take care.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Jpasint,

Thanks for the comments. We will gather the feedback provided as well.About the case, basically it is data written to the controller, which is what you did on your test and therefore is the same amount of data written to the SSD or the controller of the SSD.Thanks as well for testing this and if you have any other question please let us know.Regards,NC