cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming performance lag on Intel 600p

YYoun4
New Contributor

Recently installed an intel 600p 512gb m.2 nvme ssd on to Gigabyte p34w v5 laptop. Working fine on windows 10 and apps but when playing games it lag a lot until unplayable compare to the old m.2 sata ssd.

Revert back to original drivers and still problem persist. Install latest driver for the laptop problem still persist.

Notice when game is running in the background the speed is running fine. The moment when you enter the game it just start to lag.

Also game loading is much longer. It takes 2 to 4x longer to load a game.

Just did a benchmarking on bioshock infinite using the in game bechmarking tool. When you focus on the game the framerate was around 5 to 20 frames. The moment you let it run in the background framerate jump to 130 to 150 frames.

Suspect could be driver issue on intel 600p nwme ssd. Or is there any other solution?

Please Help.

5 REPLIES 5

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Tyloong,

Considering the performance specifications of the http://ark.intel.com/products/94924/Intel-SSD-600p-Series-512GB-M_2-80mm-PCIe-3_0-x4-3D1-TLC Intel® SSD 600p 512GB, there should be no reason for this SSD to be causing such performance issues. In this case we can recommend making sure your BIOS and your Chipset drivers are up to date.

- http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5708# driver Downloads for Gigabyte* P34W v5:

1. Under drivers, select your OS, and update to the latest chipset software.
  2. Make sure all other drivers are updated as well (graphics, wlan, etc.).
  3. Switch to BIOS, select your OS, and download the latest BIOS update.

Note: Any links provided for third party tools or sites are offered for your convenience and should not be viewed as an endorsement by Intel®.

We can also recommend contacting your system manufacturer to make sure your BIOS is set up properly to boot from an M.2 PCIe* SSD. Your computer's specs don't specify this, so you could also make sure M.2 PCIe* Generation 3 is supported. If your system uses an older PCIe* version, that would easily explain your drive not working at full speed.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

YYoun4
New Contributor

Hi Carlos,

Thanks for the reply. I did update the bios and the drivers (wlan, chipset, gpu, etc) from gigabyte website. It did not work. Same issue as the above. Then i went to intel website to download the latest generic drivers using the intel driver update utility plus the latest nvidia drivers. Same issue.

Anyway i did notice that on the gigabyte website there was a driver for the samsung nvme ssd. So i presume there may be something to it on using the nvme ssd on this laptop. And looking at the drivers at gigabyte website the reasonably newest drivers are the nvidia driver and the samsung nvme ssd drivers.

Then tried using the latest intel ssd toolbox 3.3.7. Hoping to have some drivers or firmware that can solve my issue. Alas it's not ready.

So i have no choice but to swap the intel nvme ssd for my old m.2 sata ssd. Now everything is back to normal.

As for the specs of this laptop http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5708&dl=# sp GIGABYTE - Laptop - Laptop - P series - P34W v5

Notice under storage it states 1 x M.2 SSD slots (Type 2280, supports NVMe PCIe X4 & SATA)

And it does support the samsung 950 pro nvme ssd. So presumably the 600p which is a latest model should not have a problem on this laptop.

I suppose it could be the laptop problem. Earlier I've emailed them regarding this issue . Hopefully either party can help.

Thank you again.

Regards

tyloong

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Tyloong,

I saw the product specs on their website, but they only specify support for "1 x M.2 SSD slots (Type 2280, supports NVMe* PCIe X4 & SATA)", which means NVMe* PCIe by 4 lanes. It could very well just be a typo and they might have simply missed adding which generation PCIe (Normally it would look like NVMe* PCIe 3.0 x4, or Generation/Gen 2 x4, etc.).

As for the driver, the Intel SSD 600p Series works using the built-in or "in-box" drivers provided with the operating system. No additional driver is required for the drive to perform as advertised.

Keep in mind that uEFI* drivers and BIOS settings must be used with NVMe* devices. It's also possible that we're simply one or two BIOS settings away from acheiving optimal perfomance. If your OEM provides some useful troubleshooting steps that help you resolve the issue, please let us know.

Best regards,

Carlos A.

YYoun4
New Contributor

Hi Carlos,

After much testing i've decided to reset the pc to stock windows 10 drivers and everything was back to normal plus there was no more lag in gaming. Suspect there was some rogue drivers left behind from my previous installation that was causing the lag when playing games only. Eventually i did a clean install of windows 10 using the smart usb backup from gigabyte. And the problem was gone. Thank you for your time.

Regards

tyloong