cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDDerase equivalent for Mac?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have an Intel x25-m G2 drive in a 13" MacBook Pro with the latest firmware (the one causing all the issues on Windows 7). It has been fine, but I'm curious if there's a way to send the secure erase ATA command to the drive like HDDerase does.

I've made FreeDOS boot discs with HDDerase on it, but it doesn't see the drive (I believe this is because the Mac always has the drive in enhanced SATA mode and I believe HDDerase requires IDE mode -- something I cannot change, nor would I want to in light of the latest firmware issues possibly springing from switching ide/ahci modes for the drive).

I'm sure other Mac users are wondering the same thing.

12 REPLIES 12

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I don't have a Mac but hot-plugging SATA disks is fine. I followed the wiki article, booted with a Linux live CD and the bottom laptop panel open. Once at the desktop, I just gently disconnectd the disk from the laptop connector by sliding it out slightly and then plugging it back after about 5 seconds. The disk then gets detected as /dev/sda and it is in the "unfrozen" state, which will allow you to follow the rest of the article.

I too hope that Intel gives us a manual TRIM tool that works under different OSes but it could just be wishful thinking.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Interesting.

Can you elaborate on why hot plugging SATA drives is fine? I always thought this was a bad idea but I'll be glad to be wrong about it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It's fine to hotplug SATA drives because they were designed for it. If you look at the connector, certain pins are actually longer than others to ensure that those pins make contact first when being inserted. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA# Hotplug http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA# Hotplug has a little info on it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I hot plugged the drive while booted to a linux livecd, and it unfroze the drive. i was able to use hdparm to send the secure erase ata command and it worked great. Only took about a minute to wipe my 160gb drive.

I appreciate the help.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I too would like to know when Intel will provide a method for us Mac users to restore our drives to like new performance...