cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP - Data Migration Hung with no progress bar on screen

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi. I just purchased a 600GB model. Transfering from my HP laptop running Win7 x64 using a usb->SATA connector. Data migration software loaded fine, immediately recognized both my HDD (one partition only, 110GB), started the transfer last night. It quickly started, and then rebooted. Following reboot the laptop screen only showed some white noise junk along the top edge of the screen (about 1/4" high), but the HDD light on the laptop was blinking quickly, so I assumed everything ok. It is now about 16 hours later, and the same thing is on the screen, and HDD light still blinks, just not quite so furiously as before.

I re-read the documentation and it indicated the migration software should have shown me a progress bar during the transfer.

I guess I need to restart the transfer? Is that so?

If I need to terminate the transfer, how can I do that *safely* and not corrupt the HDD -- and be able to reboot to it again?

Thanks! I need a solution quickly over this weekend, because early Monday morning I'm headed on a business trip & need the laptop.

- Neil

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks Robert. Do you remember when you ran the migration... did it show a progress bar on the screen? I just have some garbage along the top.

I guess I have no choice but to reboot the laptop, but am concerned about any issues with the MBR on the HDD, which presumably was modified by the migration software to enable it to reboot into the transfer process.

In addition, I would have expected the migration software wouldn't have allowed me to start the process if it required the drive to be formatted first.

Any suggestions based on the above? (I'll certainly give you a "answered" rating based on your responses so far)

- Neil

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

also, how long did the data migration take, and how much data did you transfer?

Took about ten Min. yes there was a progress bar . But I was using Acronis software , what are you using ??

You can download a trial Ver of Acronis at there site . just google it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi. I was using the Intel OEM verson of Acronis. Which trial version of theirs did you use?

See

http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/