cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP: Windows 7 BSOD following SSD v1.7 firmware update

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Dear Intel Community,

I have a 160GB Intel 2nd generation SSD on my notebook. The notebook has Windows 7 Professional 64 bit installed.

Today I updated my Intel SSD using the latest v1.7 firmware. The update seems to have gone ok without hickup or error messages.

However, after I restarted the computer, I can see the Windows is loading screen for maybe 1/2 to 1 second before it crashes with a blue screen (BSOD). Windows startup repair is unable to fix the problem, but looking at the details it stated driver issue perhaps?

I happen to have a separate HDD with linux installed, which I was able to boot with and then try to access my SSD. It appears that I can access the drive and see my old files and folder structure. Does this mean it is a driver issue?

Has this problem been reported before? More importantly, please help me go about fixing this problem!

Thanks

Summary of Problem

Problem: Windows 7 blue screen after updating SSD with v1.7 firmware. Unable to boot Windows.

Intel SSD Firmware: Version 1.7 (011102M388208850.ISO)

SSD: Intel X-25M 2nd Generation SSD (SSDSA1MH160G201)

Description: Blue screen almost immediately after first boot into Windows 7. Can see Windows 7 load animation for 0.5 to 1 seconds before crash. Unable to boot into Windows 7. Linux installed on a separate HDD appears capable of accessing the SSD drive.

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

As far as I know no one has reported problems upgrading the firmware to date. That said there is always a chance something could go wrong in the upgrade process, so it is always advisable to back up before hand.

What you describe however sounds like a driver problem that is preventing Windows from booting. Did you by any chance change from AHCI to IDE mode to install the firmware update and then not reset the bios to AHCI mode afterwards?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi, No I didnt change the bios settings. It was by default in AHCI mode and remained so after update.

Information Update:

I cannot boot via safe mode either as it blue screens while loading also.

However, I can get Startup Repair to work. After scanning it says it cant repair the problem automatically however there are problem details:

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: StartupRepairOffline

Problem Signature01: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature02: 6.1.7600.16385

Problem Signature03: unknown

Problem Signature04 21200973

Problem Signature05 AutoFailover

Problem Signature06 4

Problem Signature07 BadDriver

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1

Local ID: 1033

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If you can see the files under Linux the 1st thing I would do is pull off any data that you don't want to lose.

Have you tried booting to the last known good configuration? Maybe a wild shot, but also reset CMOS.