cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Raid vs. Sofware Raid with Intel RST Pros and Cons

TTuca
New Contributor

I know that there are different methods for creating a RAID: in the Intel Option ROM, as an UEFI Raid in th MTB BIOS, or software Raid with Intel RST in Windows, or with Gigabyte Easy Raid in Windows.

I thought that creating the Raid in the BIOS or in the Option ROM is the best solution because you create a hardware. Raid created in RST in Windows is a software Raid and is very much dependent on the Windows health. Also a hardware Raid should be much faster and more reliable than a software Raid.

What happens with a software Raid created with Intel RST software or with Gigabyte Easy Raid if your Windows has to be reinstalled?, I guess it is basically gone, you lose all the data.

What are the Pros and Cons for creating a hardware Raid in the BIOS or a software Raid with Intel RST? Please advise

Thanks

Titus

1 REPLY 1

AP16
Contributor

OpROM (part visible for user) and RST are both interfaces for managing RAID. RAIDs created by any tool are identical - require both OpROM and OS level drivers support. OpROM (or UEFI RST driver) is responsible for boot time initialization, while OS level RST driver responsible for RAID functions after its load. Hardware part is a chipset functions, utilizing CPU and RAM for calculations and buffering. So no difference.