Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jWu78
Beginner

Have a good day! Does Intel SSD P4500 support VSS(Variable Sector Size) functions?

Have a good day!

Does Intel SSD P4500 support VSS(Variable Sector Size) functions?

If not,Why? I known that SSD P3500/P3600/P3700 series are support VSS functions.

0 Kudos
13 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hi hmily_jian,

Thank you for posting in the Intel communities.

According to this guide, the NVMe* drives use Variable Sector Size (VSS) technology. As the Intel® SSD DC P4500 Series is an NVMe* drive, it should support VSS: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000016238/memory-and-storage/data-center-ss... Change Variable Sector Size on NVM Express* Drives

This guide explains how to change the Variable Sector Size using the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (DCT), you can try it with your drive to confirm if it is supported.

I hope this information answers your question.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
jWu78
Beginner

Thank you for your reply.

I use isdct tool to change the SectorSize on Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X. (I haven't found the disk of P4500 for the time being.)

And I found Sector size can be switched between 512 and 4096. when I try to change the SectorSize to 4160. A mistake was reported.

So My question is : Does the Intel SSD DC P4500/P4510 the same with Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X support VSS function, but It also can't

change to 4160? Thank you.

$sudo isdct start -intelssd 0 -NVMeFormat LBAformat=5 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 MetaDataSettings=0

WARNING! You have selected to format the drive!

Proceed with the format? (Y|N): Y

Formatting...(This can take several minutes to complete)

- Intel Optane(TM) SSD DC P4800X Series PHKE736100RS375AGN -

And change the SectorSize to 4096 .It was succeed.

$sudo isdct start -intelssd 0 -NVMeFormat LBAformat=3 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 MetaDataSettings=0

- Intel Optane(TM) SSD DC P4800X Series PHKE736100RS375AGN -

jWu78
Beginner

intel_corp

And I use isdct tool change sector size to 4160 on Intel SSD P4510. A mistake was reported.

$sudo isdct start -intelssd 2 -NVMeFormat LBAformat=5 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 MetaDataSettings=0

- Intel SSD DC P4510 Series BTLJ724400FU1P0FGN -

idata
Community Manager

Hi hmily_jian,

According to the Intel® SSD DCT User Guide ( https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_Use...), the LBAformat parameter could be a number from 0 to the maximum number of LBA formats the drive has, which is referenced as NumLBAFormats. You can check this parameter with the show command as follow:

isdct show -all -intelssd

You should run that command to check the number of possible formats for each drive. If the NumLBAFormats value is 2, then you can only use 0, 1 or 2 for the LBAformat parameter.

Regards,

Diego V.
jWu78
Beginner

intel_corp

Have a nice day. Thank you for your reply.

I found Intel SSD DC P4510 's NumLBAFormats = 1. only support 512 and 4096 sector size.

So my question is: Why P4510 can not support 4160 sectors?

Thank you.

idata
Community Manager

Hi hmily_jian,

Please let me investigate about your question. I'll post here any information I'm able to find about it.

Regards,

Diego V.

idata
Community Manager

Hi hmily_jian,

After investigating about this concern, I have received confirmation that indeed, the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series supports only 512 and 4096 sector sizes. The support for the other options was not implemented for this drive model.

Regards,

Diego V.
idata
Community Manager

Intel DC P4510

Hello,

i have the same problem to change the sector size. When i use the command:

isdct show -all -intelssd

there are no NumLBAFormats shown .. the line is missing.

The Intel DC P4510 use 512 and i want it to change to 4096 (4K) sector size. When i want to

isdct start -intelssd 0 -NVMeFormat LBAformat=1 SecureEraseSetting=0 ProtectionInformation=0 MetaDataSettings=0

It only shows

Invalid LBA Format

Thanks and best regards

Andre

idata
Community Manager

Hi Andre,

Could you please save the output of the isdct show -all –intelssd command in a file and upload it here so that I can take a look at it?

I'll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.
jWu78
Beginner

intel_corp

Thank you for your reply.

I know this conclusion that Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series supports only 512 and 4096 sector sizes.

My question is:

1、What are the specific technical reasons for that Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series supports only 512 and 4096 sector sizes.?

2、Which new NVMe SSD products will support more variable sector size such as 4160&4224 bytes in the future?

Thank you!

idata
Community Manager

Hi hmily_jian,

512 and 4096 are the two most common sector sizes in Windows* and Linux*, therefore they are the ones that are currently supported.

We have no information about future releases with additional sector size options at this point.

Regards,

Diego V.
idata
Community Manager

Hello Diego,

It worked. After I removed the second controller It also shown NumLBAFormats=1 after the restart. Changing the sector size worked immediately.

Thank you!

Best regards

André

idata
Community Manager

Hi André,

That's great!

Thanks for confirming it worked. If you have another concern, feel free to open a new thread. We'll try to help you in any way we can.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.