cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Intel? Information please!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A lot of your customers have bricked drives. They need to know if they should send them back with an RMA now, or if a new firmware update can fix the drive. Others have updated successfully but are now unsure what to do (I want to know I it's safe to upgrade to Win7 from Vista for example).

I guess what happened with the 02HA firmware is about the worst that can happen to a manufacture entering into a new market for them, especially when things went wrong earlier already. I assume that's why you are now taking time to very carefully investigate the matter. But some of us need answers now.

Please give a forecast on when we can expect a fix, or at least re-publish the previous firmware so we can bring our drives back to a safe state!

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Same here, I just can't believe they are just silent apart from the very few and vague messages. I think the 1st thing they should have done is to make the previous firmware available again (repackaged if necessary) so further failing of drives is prevented. They should have done that within a day or something. Next thing, give an ETA for a definitive fix.

Come on, this is Intel. A technology leader. They way they are acting make them look like some unknown unreliable manufacturer from a not-so-developed country. Sjees!

(I am just glad that my drive is okay so far, despite the upgrade)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The sad part is there was probably a fix days after the problem came up... now some engineer is buried in paperwork. I will say the public relations for this problem is SAD. Its amazing how far simple updates would go for customer loyalty, next time I may consider OCZ etc...

PCoup1
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

We'd all be buying OCZ if the Intel wasn't the best drive.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

things change - people actually take support into account when they purchase high priced electronic equipment, especially show stopping computer components such as hard drives....

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is a general response. What I see here is a bunch of whiners. Everybody knew when you purchased the SSD that it is immature technology. That is plain and simple. You folks who complain don't understand computer technology, therefore you think it is easy to fix. Not only that you don't understand TRIM because if you did, you would know that the implementation MUST be cognizant of the file system structure(ie. Win, HFS, ext3, ext4, etc) There is NO STANDARDIZED implementation of TRIM. I feel sorry for those with bricked drives, but that was/is the risk you take when you upgrade firmware and on top of that upgrade to something that is still in its infancy which TRIM is.

Now, for those that think OCZ is great or is better, just go to their forum and look at their issues. The proliferation of models, some with Garbage Collection and TRIM which are both incompatible. Look at the various scripts that are used to implement what TRIM is supposed to do. There are only 2 vendors that seem to stand heads and heels of others at this time and that is OCZ and Intel. Now, Intel can take a lesson from OCZ where the folks over there engage their customer base and offer help, suggestions, etc.

I've got 3 SSD, two first gen and 1 second gen and i have installed in both mac and hp machines, running OSX, Ubunut, Windows Vista x64, and other various versions of Linux and I have had no problems whatsoever. You want to know why? I know exactly what i'm doing and i know where the risks are. I'm using OSX daily WITHOUT trim and my Intel 160GB SSD is still performing heads and hills above the 5400 HD that came with my Apple. Has performance degraded? Probably so, but it is still small at this point. My opinion is that SSDs are really made for Linux and OSX. Microsoft continues to proliferate their OS with constant disk activity which requires that you have some type of Garbage collection or TRIM to keep the drive tuned. As i wirte this my OSX operating system shows NO DISK Activity, even though i have Safari running. Try looking at WIN 7 and see if you ever can obtain that.