cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello Intel? Information please!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

A lot of your customers have bricked drives. They need to know if they should send them back with an RMA now, or if a new firmware update can fix the drive. Others have updated successfully but are now unsure what to do (I want to know I it's safe to upgrade to Win7 from Vista for example).

I guess what happened with the 02HA firmware is about the worst that can happen to a manufacture entering into a new market for them, especially when things went wrong earlier already. I assume that's why you are now taking time to very carefully investigate the matter. But some of us need answers now.

Please give a forecast on when we can expect a fix, or at least re-publish the previous firmware so we can bring our drives back to a safe state!

26 REPLIES 26

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just contacted the intel technical support. they said that they themselves dont know yet where the bug in the firmware is, and that they will contact me sometime next week to tell me if i have to send the drives back, or if a simple firmware upgrade will fix everything.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Somewhere next week? Auch... that is a long time!

I don't think I will wait that long and I will just go ahead with my install.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

This is indeed something I miss from Intel at the moment. At least to inform on the current state and possible solution (date, form...). They should publish at least old FW ("re-badged" to look as new, so the update process is possible) for those, who has flashed new FW and are very nervous at the moment (with no way back). "We are aware..." is all I have heard up until now No temporal solution (old FW), no suggested date of release of new FW (so one knows if and how long to wait). I wonder if Intel got anything from the previous FW bios password problem, beacuse this is not how to handle premium customers (which SSD owners still are at the moment). This is not bashing Intel, but I don't understand the silence at all and I am also left in the dark. What is next?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes Intel could at least post the occasional status update. I too do not feel comfortable, knowing that my Postville might or might not break down any time.

However, just flashing the previous firmware on top of the faulty one could be just as dangerous. Intel needs to thoroughly investigate whether it's safe to flash back. Backflashing has probably never been done before.