cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Intel x25m installation

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

So I've searched a lot around the community but I can't find the exact answer I was looking for, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I've installed win 7 onto my intel ssd without updating the firmware or setting the ssd to AHCI mode. Since I like to do this properly, I would like to reinstall the OS AFTER updating the frimware (to get TRIM support) and setting ssd to AHCI. How do I go about performing a fresh new win 7 install without messing up the ssd?

15 REPLIES 15

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wierd, I've seen lots of threads asking how to check if TRIM is enabled and this was the way to go. If I had received = 1 then it would mean that TRIM is disabled.

Anyhow, is it imperative to create a mirror image or can I just go:

-edit registry to enable AHCI

-update firmware

-enable AHCI in BIOS

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The firmware update is non destructive, however it is always recommended to back up just in case.

If you are not worried about backup you could just switch to AHCI. Depending on your mobo you may need to run the firmware update in IDE compatible mode and then switch to AHCI.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I'm not worried about backing up because the OS is the only thing stored which can be reinstalled if something happens.

Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7.

Inteli7 wrote:

Wierd, I've seen lots of threads asking how to check if TRIM is enabled and this was the way to go. If I had received = 1 then it would mean that TRIM is disabled.

yes, that's correct. however, that setting has nothing to do with whether or not the storage devices you have support trim, just whether or not windows is issuing trim commands. trim is enabled (disabledeletenotify=0) by default on windows 7, even if you install to a conventional hard drive. it stays 0 even if you install an ssd that doesn't support trim. it is always 0 by default. disabledeletenotify does not change to reflect hardware, it only ever changes if you change it.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've managed to change to AHCI mode but I wasn't able to complete the ssd firmware update. The update works fine up until the updater asks me if I want to continiue, to which I have to type: Y and then ENTER. It simply freezes there, the dvd rom stops spinning and I'm unable to type. The keyboard is responding (I know because the reciever blinks) but letters do not appear on the screen. I've tried in IDE and AHCI mode - what do I do?