cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, X25-M (G2) operating in SATA 1 mode

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just got my SSD drive and am very happy with it. Although I'm having trouble with Intel X25-M (G2) SSD only operating in SATA 1 mode. The disk is installed in a fresh released laptop Acer Aspire Timeline 4810TG with OS Windows7. I presume the laptop should is SATA2. So, how can I change the disk to operate in SATA2? Any ideas? Also, the BIOS is set to AHCI mode as it should be (default) for best performance.

17 REPLIES 17

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ICH7-M does not support SATA revision 2.0 at all. On Intel technical data sheet, it is written that mobilty version of ICH7 does not support SATA 3 Gbit/sec transfer. So if you own this southbridge, you will only get around 120 Megabyte per second of transfer rate.

Do not buy Mainstream SSD, because you waste money.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thx for info. Unfortunately it seems that I have ICH9M family chipset. This means it should be SATA2 (300) right?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I`ve Dell Studio 1535 (ICH8M-E chipset) laptop with Sata1 speed. You`re not the only one who has the same problem as you...

I`ve asked Dell support what Sata speeds support my laptop and they`ve said nor Sata1 or Sata2, it just supports Sata !??? Are they Normal??

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey, that's just what happened to me. I emailed the Acer support and asked if my model was SATA1 or SATA2. Guess what answer I got? The answer was "Yes! it's got SATA". Incredible!! What noobs are sitting on the support side?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, that is really pathetic. Obviously, those people have not been trained, before or after getting that job. OTOH, when they give seemingly stupid answers like that, at times that means they don't want you to know the reality of the situation, that this laptop is using a SATA 1.5Gb/s interface. That's not from the people on the phone, but their supervisors, that hopefully know the difference.

Doesn't ASUS understand the impression they give people when things like this happen? As well as the damage to their reputation? It seems as if they don't care.

Frankly, and I'll be entering dangerous territory here, but the reason things seem to be as they are, is due to cultural differences. Not necessarily wrong or right, just different. A U.S. corporation I worked for employed people from all over the world, and I worked with many of them. Occasionally I would ask them what they liked the most about the U.S., and the most common responses were, the lack of corruption, and that organizations were more responsible, and are held responsible for their actions, whether that is a government agency or a private corporation. The subtle point here is that this is more of a mind-set then obeying laws. We simply may not receive the kind of respect we get from American companies than from those off-shore.

You are not wasting you money with an SSD, even if you are stuck with the SATA 1.5Gb/s interface. The SSD will still be faster in many ways then a HDD will be on the same interface. If you get a new PC, you can use the SSD with it, so it is hardly a waste.

Companies sometimes will intentionally make their cheaper products perform slower than the higher priced ones, in order to motivate people to purchase the more expensive ones. Regardless, your experience lowers my opinion of that company.