cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help, X25-M (G2) operating in SATA 1 mode

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I just got my SSD drive and am very happy with it. Although I'm having trouble with Intel X25-M (G2) SSD only operating in SATA 1 mode. The disk is installed in a fresh released laptop Acer Aspire Timeline 4810TG with OS Windows7. I presume the laptop should is SATA2. So, how can I change the disk to operate in SATA2? Any ideas? Also, the BIOS is set to AHCI mode as it should be (default) for best performance.

17 REPLIES 17

DSilv11
New Contributor II

Signal integrity and trace length play a large part as you increase the speed from 1.5 to 3.0 to 6g.

The window of acceptable bus noise is halved at each step.

I would think laptops would have minimal impact, but as ducky said, reusing on old design is cheaper than validating a new one.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Regarding trace length, I can see that on my ASUS mother board with an ICH10R for SATA 3Gb/s and a Marvell 9128 for SATA 6Gb/s, the Marvell chip is located within an inch of the SATA connectors. The ICH10R is located farther than that from it's SATA connectors

Considering how long SATA cables can be, running inside the electronically noisy PC case, and that they have usually have simple shielding (foil), all that does not seem to be a problem. I don't understand circuit board construction, and the noise and shielding issues, but apparently shielding them is more difficult to achieve.

But once leaving the SATA interface chip, is that signal still as susceptible to noise as it is between the connectors and chip?

DSilv11
New Contributor II

Cables don't have nearly the problem that the board traces do.

(I am going from memory here and it is too late at night, but I seem to recall) 1 ft standard pair SATA cable has about the same signal integrity as 1 inch of board trace in high speed sata .Has to do with the twisted pairs in the cable vs parallel traces and capacitance between them on the board and for 3G sata your limited to ~ 7 inch total board trace where 1.5g ran find with over 12 inch of trace length. So the part that is of concern is from the sata chip to the connector and on any back plane to the HDD. Laptops frequency favor interconnect boards over cables which could be why the system is configured to run 1G sata.

I don't know about the SSD's, but a lot of SATA HDD have a jumper on them to force the HDD to SATA 1.

Otherwise they should negotiate for the best speed