cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help in determining if a Intel SSD is new or used....

SDuVa
New Contributor

Hello,

Can anyone confirm if Intel physically plugs in (plugs up) all new SSD's in some way before they are packaged and sold? I bought a Intel SSD that was sold as new - but it has markings on the edge connector indicating that the drive has been plugged in before somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Scott

3 REPLIES 3

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

The markings on the connectors are expected because all the SSD's go through functional testing before packaging.

The best way to tell if it is new is to look at the Host Writes SMART attribute.

Joe,

Thanks for replying to my question. However, I would like for you to elaborate on the "Host Writes Smart Tribute".... This is a terminology that I have never heard of. I would assume this is some sort of "tally of writes to the drive", am I correct? If not, can you please tell me what this is/means? And lastly I also assume this is available to me through some sort of Intel test software?

Thanks,

Scott

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

I am sorry for not including such information.

The SMART attribute Host Writes (E1) reports the total number of sectors written by the host system.

You can take a look at it by clicking on SMART Details from the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455 Intel® SSD Toolbox.