cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed to migrate an image (created with the WD OEM version of Acronis True Image that came with my external USB WD drive) to a new Intel 730 SSD.

GLyne
New Contributor

Help needed to migrate an image (created with the WD OEM version of Acronis True Image that came with my external USB WD drive) to a new Intel 730 SSD. I have two questions - 1) - First of all - can I do this with the Intel migration software and will the intel software see that image on my USB drive? and 2) - Can I remove some folders from the image created with the WD version of Acronis True Image before cloning it to the new SSD ( as the image to be migrated is too large for the new SSD)?

2 REPLIES 2

KenF_Intel
Contributor

Hi Drummin.

I have not seen a way to load a previously created image using our Intel(r) Data Migration Software.

I am sure that there is no way to selectively edit out files or folders during the migration.

I was thinking about trying this: I have another 3 1/2" WD hard drive and if I configure it as a slave and then migrate the boot image currently on the WD USB drive to this slave WD dive (using the WD OEM version of Acronis True Image that it was created with) I could then make the 3 1/2" WD drive a master and boot the system with it. Then I could delete files and folders I no longer want to bring the size down to be able to fit on the new Intel SSD. At that point I could migrate the downsized image to the new SSD using the "Intel migration software" and then use that as the boot drive and configure the 3 1/2" WD as a slave. If anyone can see any flaws in this plan that would prevent this from working - I would be greatly appreciate your comments.