cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hibernation and SSD wearing

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello everybody,

I'm planning to buy and install an X25-M on my notebook, but there are still some unclear points I would like to solve before proceeding. In particular, I would really like to know whether the hibernation feature in Windows OSs may actually increases the disk wearing significantly. A lot of users on the web recommend to disable it on SSD to minimize writes and enable longer disk duration, but I can't really avoid using it. It makes me save a lot of time, for I don't have to re-open my work session (about 100-120 running processes).

Furthermore, I would like to know how the Data Migration Tool behaves in terms of partition alignment. I am not planning to make a fresh Win7 install, since it would take me too much to reinstall of my applications, and the DMT looks like to be excellent for that job.

Thank you for your replies.

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Yes to the resize.

Regarding the other issue Intel specs for the M series drives are a minimum of 20GB host writes per day for 5 years. I've written 3TB to my drive and the wear indicator is at 98 (out of possible 99). I've yet to see anyone claim their NAND has run out of erase cycles and they have been around for a few years now.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Odds are it may work out fine for what you do and less used RAM when you hibernate the less that has to be written but if you really want to be sure you could wait for the 3rd gen X25-M that has four times more lifespan in writes then the 2nd gen X25-M.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@redux

This sounds comforting, don't really want to spend that money for a device I cannot stress as much as possible

@PeterUK

That's a big question. Actually, I do not desperately need a SSD, but whenever G3 comes up it won't probably be as cheap as G2 is. Have to think about it, but thanks for pointing out.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ghost, redux makes a good point, and I would bet that Intel is being conservative about those specs, as they would really hear about it from the industry and consumers if their SSD products did not at least match those specs. I think the wear out issue with SSDs is nothing we need to be concerned about.

That type of spec (longevity) has been overlooked in HDDs for years now, and of all the HDDs I've owned in the past that are over five years old (dozens) only two still function today. I truly do not think you need to worry about wearing them out, even when using hibernation.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thank you all very much for your replies, they really helped me. I think I'll order my new Intel SSD ASAP.

BTW, I also appreciated the Intel Support Community web site very much: probably one of the best site I've been visiting so far.