cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High latency for disk activity while writing file intel 80gb G1

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I was writing a large file to my ssd and my system was basically crippled because the response time for programs went from the usual <=3ms to a peak of 817ms. I got this info from the disk activity tab under performance monitor. I've also noticed that when the drive stutters, it's because the latency increases to ~500ms. Is there a fix for this because buying another ssd with say a SF controller? I'm using a lattitude e6410 with the latest intel ahci drivers installed.

14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

redux wrote:

I would strongly recommend not doing that. I haven't tried it myself but users on other forums have said that whilst it works to some extent on OCZ drives it has the opposite effect on Intel drives.

It was a matter of last resort other than zeroing the drive out. It already is pretty bad.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Use Ccleaner to wipe/erase the drive free space.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

when i hover over the msahci thing in the probram, it shows the intel chipset ahci driver, but hwen i check the drive under manage computer computer, it says it's the ms controller. seems kinda retarded that the only way to restore performance for a 2 month old drive is to erase it and copy the drive image over... here's atto btw. doens't seem like that as ssd thing shows the whole story.

mmokk
Contributor

the secure erase will restore performance*, guaranteed. anything else is 'maybe it will work, maybe not'.

given the choice between a 100% probability of positive outcome, and 50/50, this should be a no-brainer.

do check your firmware version first though, and update it if it's not the latest (8820)

* be aware that many laptops castrate sata performance. it's possible you will never see your g1 perform as well in your laptop as it would in a desktop. the secure erase should still reduce the high latency, though.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

ccleaner will, it's not maybe it will work.