I'm splitting this off and following up from the Toolbox 1.2 thread. As I noted there, for the first run through of the Optimizer in the new Toolbox, it took 2 hours and 50 minutes for my 160GB SSD. Immediately afterward, I rebooted and ran the Optimizer again. It took 2 hours and 30 minutes (some improvement, but not much). In general, the progress bar is a good indication of how long it will take to run. In my case, it started at 8%. After 10 minutes, it updated to 12%. Thereafter, just about every 7 minutes it increased by about 5% (it did slow down just a bit near the end). Also, the process took about half the CPU power on my system. Not exactly a subtle process. Are others seeing similar times?
I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) on an Intel E8400 with 2GB RAM. The SSD is the only drive in the system, is running under AHCI, and has about 54 GB used and 95 GB free.
Using Toolbox 1.2 on 80GB, it tool 1 hour with about 20 restore points... After I deleted all but the most recent restore point the Toolbox optimizer ran in about 10 min.
From the ReadMe.rtf:
"To reduce the amount of time the Intel SSD Optimizer takes to run, reduce the number of System Protection restore points. The amount of time the Intel SSD Optimizer takes to complete is related to the number of System Protection restore points and the number of total files of the system"
It looks like I've currently got 41 Restore Points (Control Panel | System | System Protection | System Restore). I guess I'm going to have to think about how to manage these Restore Points.
Just to document some closure on this (I should have done this earlier -- sorry), I removed all but one Restore Point by going into Computer | Properties | General | Disk Cleanup | Cleanup System Files | More Options (this is under Windows 7). The Optimizer now finishes in 7 minutes. Much better. Thanks for the help.
My 160Gb G2 took over 1.5 hours! That's with just two restore points, but around 200,000 files. I suspect my AV software was checking each and every one of those files before it got moved.
I just ran SSD optimizer on my 80 GB SSD for the first time.
It took about 10 seconds.
I deleted all restore points before running it, and set MS Security Essentials to not perform real-time monitoring.