cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I boost X25-M 160GB performance?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <![endif]-->

<!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:"MS Mincho"; panose-1:2 2 6 9 4 2 5 8 3 4; mso-font-alt:"MS 明朝"; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} @font-face {font-family:"\@MS Mincho"; panose-1:0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0; mso-font-charset:128; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-format:other; mso-font-pitch:fixed; mso-font-signature:1 134676480 16 0 131072 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS Mincho";} p {mso-margin-top-alt:auto; margin-right:0in; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"MS Mincho";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

<!--[if gte mso 10]> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:# 0400; mso-fareast-language:# 0400; mso-bidi-language:# 0400;} <![endif]-->

I just installed a new X25-M 160MB G2 drive into my system (ASUS P6TSE MOB, i7 920 @ 3.8GHz, 12GB 1600MHz RAM). The firmware level of this X25-M is 2CV102G9 (like everyone else I am waiting for much-anticipated new firmware!). I am running a dual boot system with Win 7 Ultimate 64 and Vista Ultimate 64.

I first plugged the X25-M into the SATA0 port and on either system saw only max and average read rate at about 160MB/sec- far below the rated 250MB/sec. I am testing with HD Tune Pro by the way. I knew that wasn't right and had a hunch - I moved the drive to the SATA1 port and low and behold, under both Vista or Win7, the X25-M delivers at 228MB/sec read, whew, I feel much better! I don't know why SATA0 doesn't deliver - maybe someone can explain?). Now my main question, while 228MB/sec is wonderful, is there anything I can adjust to get the read rate up to the rated 250MB/sec range? I did turn off write caching hoping that would help but it didn't seem to make a difference. Thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, I found the first answer on the SATA0 port but not the answer to my main question. on the slow SATA0 port issues, it turns out that the ASUS P6T motherboard's SATA connectors 0 and 1 are JMicro ports with known limitatons and its best to not use them (P6T Deluxe MOB doesn't use the JMicrons BTW), so I've relegated the JMicron SATA ports to drive my DVD writers. On a P6TSE, the SSD needs to be connected to any of the 6 SATA ports on the Southbirdge that is also happens to be running a pair of 1TB HDDs in RAID0 using the ICH10 RAID driver.

My main question remains unanswered as to how to adjust anything (if possble) to bost the X25-M upto to its max rated read speed.

Regards,

Mike

VPent
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

Hi Firstlight,

- If you want the best performance of your hardware (SSD, graphics card and processor), did you try at Control Panel set Power Options for High Performance (normally i set Processor minimum performance at 50% and leave max. perf. at 100%). The default is Balanced.

- Also i think you should try others benchmarks (in my experience HD Tach always shows better performance than HD Tune), like Crystal DiskMark and AS SSD Benchmark. Be careful in doing many write benchmarks, regarding SSD's lifespan.

- In HD Tune my G1 and G2 SSD's give something as 230 MB/s, but in Crystal Mark, the same devices perform at aprox. 260 MB/s (sequential read speed).

Regards,

valdir

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I see what you mean; in Crystal Diskmark I am seeing a sequential write of 262MB/sec - which thought I'd like to believe it - which of the available benchmarking utilities tent to give to most accurate result?

Regards,

Mike