cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I create multiple namespaces on DC P4510 or DC P4500

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I have both a DC P4500 and a DC P4510 drive.

I downloaded and installed the Intel Datacenter Tool 3.0.13 for Linux.

I updated the firmware both SSDs to the lates one using isdct.

On the P4500 I have no namespace management support.

On the P4510, after the firmware update, i have namespace management support, but maximum namespace number is reported as 1 (one). I can detach/attach/delete/create one single namespace.

Is there a setting I am missing? Should I be able to change the maximum namespace number to a higher value? If yes, what is the isdct command for it?

Is namespace management still in its infancy, and while the official documentation for P4510 says it can support up to 256 namespaces and dynamic namespace management, in reality the feature is not present yet in the latest firmware?

Do I need a VROC to get multiple namespaces?

Thank you.

9 REPLIES 9

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Patkoscsaba.

Thank you for having contacted Intel Technical Support. We noticed that you currently have an open case that is related to the same question and is being handled by a higher department of support. We will be replying to your post as soon as we have an update on your inquiry this in order to share that information with the community as well. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B.Intel Customer Support

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Patkoscsaba.

Thank you for your patience.As stated in our previous interaction we escalated your inquiry to a higher department and the answered with the following information:"Multiple namespaces is not fully supported at this time for the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series."In order to further assist you and to investigate on your request can you please provide us the link or the documentation reference where you saw the following statement: "P4510 says it can support 256 namespaces and dynamic namespace management".We will be looking forward to your reply.Best regards,Josh B.Intel Customer Support TechnicianUnder Contract to Intel Corporation

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi Josh,

I am looking at the product brief: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/public/us/en/documents/product-briefs/dc-p4510-series-brief.pd... and it says:

"To help data centers make the most of increased SSD capacity per server, dynamic namespace management delivers the flexibility to enable more users and scale deployment. "

I am 100% sure that in June or early July, before ordering the P4510 drives, the product brief or the intel website mentioned a maximum number of 256. I see that, now the information is not present any more.

We initially had the P4500 drives, but hit the namespace issue. And when we saw that the 4510 supports multiple namespaces, we decided to order 2 x P4510.

Regardless of what we remember we saw in the past ... The current documentation says "dynamic namespace management" which I understand is the possibility to add multiple namespaces and manage them. Adding and deleting a single namespace doesn't "enable more users and scale deployment".

If the P4500 and/or P4510 cannot support multiple namespaces, tell me so. If it will support, please tell me when.

Thank you.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hello Patkoscsaba.

Thank you for your reply.Let us further investigate on your inquiry regarding if the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series will support multiple namespaces in the future.Up to this point as shared on our previous interaction multiple namespaces is not fully supported for the Intel® SSD DC P4510 Series.We will be replying to your post as soon as we have an update.Thank you for your patience and understanding.Best regards,Josh B.Intel Customer Support TechnicianUnder Contract to Intel Corporation