Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DVoss3
Novice

How can I get my Dell branded P3700 (Model SSDPEDMD020T4D HHHL NVMe 2000GB) updated to current firmware?

Jump to solution

According to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000018274/memory-and-storage/data-center-ss...

I should download and use the IRMFUU Firmware Update Utility Tool to update my firmware and that the current firmware is DP05 (8DV1DP05). When I download the tool from that link, and unzip it, I get an executable of irmfuu_7.0.2_win32.exe. There is no documentation. When I run that tool from an administrator command line, it scans all drives, finds my P3700 and reports that the device has Firmware 8DV10151 and that it is the current firmware as of this tool release.

I may well be doing something wrong since I can find no documentation on the utility syntax. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
DVoss3
Novice

The Intel documentation regarding this card is inconsistent. The Dell Part Number is clearly shown in a table with an Intel part number that does not match the part number on my card. My card may or may not have the current firmware. It is impossible to determine from the documentation available on this site. Dell has specifically directed me to Intel for firmware download assistance, but I have no faith that I have been provided accurate information, not do I expect being able to get a confident answer. Good luck to anyone else who has one of these Dell labeled cards.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Seems like you should be discussing this with Dell.

Doc

DVoss3
Novice

I understand why you might think that, but if you follow the link -- you'll see that this is an Intel page dedicated to providing drivers for Dell servers.

AlHill
Super User

But, have you contacted Dell support? Seems like they would be the first line of defense, especially for their servers.

Just saying.

Doc

JosafathB_Intel
Hello DVoss3, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DVoss3
Novice

Why would you think my issue is resolved? So far no one from Intel has provided any answer to my question. It's only been suggested by another community member that I contact Dell. Dell has directed me to Intel for updates -- specifically to the page I referenced in my beginning post. This is a picture of my card, so you can see all the identifiers for it. 20190306_164214.jpg

DVoss3
Novice

Dell has directed me to this page for all drivers and downloads related to the Dell branded P3700. https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000018274/memory-and-storage/data-center-ss...

The firmware and drivers section indicates that I should use the IRMFUU tool to update my firmware. It says that my current version of 8DV10151 is the current version as of the release of that tool.

Continuing down the rabbit hole, the Change Lists section indicates that the current version for my card (Dell P/N 057GVT2) is 8DV101H0. The link next to that version points me to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/solid-state-drives/000017245.html

The table listing firmware versions for the P3700 indicates that 8DV101H0 with Bootloader 8B1B0133 is only distributed in the SSD DCT. P3700 Firmware table.PNG

So, I download Intel SSD Data Center Tool Version 3.0.18 for Windows from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28594?v=t .

When I run the command isdct show - intelssd it finds my drive and tells me to contact an Intel representative about a firmware update for this drive. isdct.PNG

I believe I've followed all the appropriate links and still find myself at a dead end and re-ask my original question. How/Where do I get current the most recent firmware for my card?

Thanks!

JosafathB_Intel
Hello DVoss3, Thank you for your reply. Based on the information you provided the"IRMFUU Firmware Update Utility Tool" is telling you that you have the latest version of the firmware and an update may not be necessary. The Intel® Solid State Drive Data Center Tool for Windows*/Linux* is listed as a “Management Software tool” and is not going to work to update the firmware of your SSD since it was modified by Dell* to work with their systems and it is different from our SSDs firmware. This being said as recommended by the community we advise you to contact your OEM Dell* for further assistance. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DVoss3
Novice

Did you even read the information that I have provided from your own website? The Intel website specifically references my card and lists the SSD Data Center Tool as one of the places to get firmware for it. Firmware listing.PNG

Will you PLEASE look at the information that I've handed you from your own website?!?!

Thank you.

JosafathB_Intel
Hello DVoss3, Thank you for your reply. As mentioned in our previous post your disk was modified by Dell* and the firmware update process using DCT may or may not work. To update the firmware of an Intel DC SSD using the Intel DCT, follow the steps below. • Download and install the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28594?v=t) • For installation instructions, refer to the Intel Solid-State Drive Data Center Tool Installation Guide (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/solid-state-drives/ssd-software/Intel_SSD_...) • For the user guide, refer to the Intel Solid State Drive Data Center Tool User Guide (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/documents/memory-and-storage/Intel_SSD_DCT_3_0_x_Use...) • To know how to use the tool, read through Chapter 1. • To update the firmware, run this command 'isdct.exe load -intelssd' without quotations. • If you encountered an error while attempting to update, check chapter 2.2 and 4.11 of the user guide and provide us with a screenshot of the error. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
DVoss3
Novice

The isdct load command requires a parameter for the target drive. isdct show reports the drive index to be 0. When I attempt to update the firmware, I am advised to contact an Intel representative. This screen shot shows the show command result as well as the load result.

isdct load error.PNG

I also attempted the IRMFUU tool again which appears to have no command line parameters. The result of running that tool is below.

irmfuu result.PNG

Thanks!

JosafathB_Intel

Hello DVoss3,

Thank you for your reply.

As mentioned in our previous post your disk was modified by Dell* and the firmware update process using DCT may or may not work. The proper tool for updating the firmware on these drives is Intel® Remote Managed Firmware Update Utility (IRMFUU) as stated in the “Support for Dell* Servers with Intel® Solid-State Drives” article (https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000018274/memory-and-storage/data-center-ss...) your SSD is a Dell* PE Qualified SKU (Dell* labeled/Dell* Custom Firmware)

SSDPEDMD020T4D SSD DC P3700 Series Dell.png

As mentioned by the Intel® Remote Managed Firmware Update Utility (IRMFUU) seems to be that you are running the latest version of the firmware, and if you think that something is wrong with your SSD we advise you to contact your OEM Dell* in order to get further assistance.

Intel® Remote Managed Firmware Update Utility (IRMFUU).jpg

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

DVoss3
Novice

The part number you have referenced is not my Dell Part Number. My Dell Part number is 057GV2 whish uses Intel Generic Firmware. At one time, the SSD Toolbox, SSD Data Center Tool and SSD Firmware Update tool could all be used to update this firmware. However according to the Intel SSD Firmware support chart, the only tool that contains the latest firmware for my product number is the SSD DCT. That tool says to contact Intel -- so here we are.

Firmware3_12.png

JosafathB_Intel

Hello DVoss3,

Thank you for your reply.

Your SSD is a Dell* PE Qualified SKU (Dell* labeled/Dell* Custom Firmware) as mentioned in our previous post your SSD part number is SSDPEDMD020T4D the “D” at the end of the part number reflects that is a third party SSD in your case DELL*.

The Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series drives that are supported by the Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (Intel® SSD DCT) have the part number ending in the letter “E” as shown in the documentation.

E Intel® SSD DC P3700 Series.PNG 

We cannot discuss OEM part numbers since they are exclusive to every brand, if you have any question regarding this please contact Dell* that is the OEM for your SSD.

As mentioned by the community before we strongly suggest you contact your OEM.

The Intel® SSD Data Center Tool (Intel® SSD DCT) is not going to be able to update your drive firmware due to the fact that your SSD is a Dell* PE Qualified SKU (Dell* labeled/Dell* Custom Firmware) and is not compatible with our generic firmware or tool, you should use the Intel® Remote Managed Firmware Update Utility (IRMFUU).

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

DVoss3
Novice

The Intel documentation regarding this card is inconsistent. The Dell Part Number is clearly shown in a table with an Intel part number that does not match the part number on my card. My card may or may not have the current firmware. It is impossible to determine from the documentation available on this site. Dell has specifically directed me to Intel for firmware download assistance, but I have no faith that I have been provided accurate information, not do I expect being able to get a confident answer. Good luck to anyone else who has one of these Dell labeled cards.

View solution in original post

wiggly1
Beginner

I'm trying to get a copy of irmfuu_7.0.2_win32.exe to troubleshoot a problem with my own Intel DC P3700 (2TB) SSD. I can't find it anywhere online. Do you happen to know where I can find it or can you help in any way? Many thanks.