Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

How do I make SSD primary boot drive?

HDD was cloned to Intel SSD using Intel migration, it was supposedly successful but HDD is still acting as primary. How do I get my laptop to read the SSD as primary boot drive without removing HDD (which I have no interest in doing).

BIOS is confusing, it shows SSD as 1st Hard Drive and HDD as 2nd Hard Drive but it doesn't show SSD as primary boot drive. The Disk Management shows that both are primary partition but HDD is the main boot. The Boot Options show Windows Boot Manager as 1st boot option. Onboard NIC IPV4 & IPV6 are the next listings the HDD & SSD are not listed on boot options.

My brother got the same exact laptop and SSD. His laptop did everything like mine but he figured out how to switch boot and tried it on mine but all it does is show a blank screen with a thinking arrow key. It doesn't switch over like his did. (I have no idea what he did, he didn't bother to explain). I watched many different videos on YouTube but none helped me figure out the problem.

I made absolutely NO changes in BIOS since I have no idea what I am doing and didn't want to mess anything up. Does anyone have a clue how to fix this?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Kimberb,

Thank you for contacting our support community. We understand your concern regarding the cloning process.

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide the following information:

*Could you please let us know if the Intel(R) SSD is connected directly to the motherboard or is it connected via USB enclosure to the system?

*Is there a possibility for you to switch the old HHD and connect the Intel(R) SSD instead? If so, are you able to boot from the SSD?

*Could you please confirm the Intel(R) SSD's model?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

*Could you please let us know if the Intel(R) SSD is connected directly to the motherboard or is it connected via USB enclosure to the system?

It is connected directly to the motherboard, supposedly correctly. It does read just not as main boot.

*Is there a possibility for you to switch the old HHD and connect the Intel(R) SSD instead? If so, are you able to boot from the SSD?

I probably could but it was not the intended way I was going to use it. The laptop is extremely new and so is the HDD. I wanted the SSD to be the main boot and the HDD to be storage. Would removing the HDD temporarily change the boot status?

There are so many # s that it is a bit confusing as to what one that would be.

The box says Intel SSD 5 M.2 80mm SATAIII Prod. Code: SSDSCKKW512G8X1 S/N: BTLA74663H4Y512K MM# : 958688 version# : J64426-100

Mfg date: 12 Feb 2018

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Kimberb,

Thank you for the information provided.

We have seen similar scenarios where the laptops have limitations related to the M.2 port. Its possible that your M.2 slot can be used as a Storage expansion slot only and booting from it may not be supported.

In order for us to check this information, could you please provide the laptop brand and model?

Also, we recommend you to check with the https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/topics/oems.html laptop manufacturer directly, in order to confirm that information with them.

Regards,

Junior M.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

My brother has the same exact laptop and it switched over so that the SSD is the main boot. As for contacting the manufacturer, I already did that and they said that the problem is "software" not hardware and would cost money to get a representative to answer the question.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron i5 5577 gaming laptop.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Kimberb,

Thanks for the reply.

We recommend you to disconnect the HHD in order to check if the cloning process was successfully done and also to confirm you are able to boot from the Intel® SSD 545s Series. If so, you just need to perform a low-level format to the HHD so you can use it as a storage device.

Please check the following article in order to perform the secure erase of the SSD:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006011/memory-and-storage.html Three Ways To Run Low-Level Format Using Intel® Software Tools

Please let us know the outcome of your situation.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Hi Kimberb,

In order to better understand your situation, could you please provide the following information:

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Regards,

NU1 CONSULTING PTY LTD

https://www.nu1c.com/ https://www.nu1c.com/

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi nickmkelly,

I believe Kimberb already answered those questions on April 30th reply.

Please check above.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I ended up taking it to a computer guy to fix. It turns out there were multiple problems that I wouldn't have been able to fix on my own. He changed things on both my laptop and my brother's. My brother decided to get it checked properly, since it wasn't running as fast as expected.

Programs were updated and changed amongst other things. He switched around memory since both computers had two different memory cards and now they are using the same company memory. (different/different now same/same per laptop). We had added extra memory and it was a different company from the one already installed.

Thank you for trying to help.

Kim

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Kimberb,

Thanks for the reply.

We are glad to hear that your situation has been resolved.

Please let us know if there is something else we can assist you with.

Regards,

Junior M.
0 Kudos