cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I prevent further damage after flashing the firmware?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi,

I flashed the new firmware to my 80GB G2 drive in AHCI mode. Did the reboot after Windows 7 Final (x64) installed new driver (Intel Matrix Storage Manager is present). Installed SSD Toolbox and ran optimization once. And, no, I did not get the error so far. Everything still works fine after a few reboots.

Now, here is my question:

Since the bug seems to be very common, is there a special action which is causing the error - such as changing some special BIOS settings - which I should avoid? E.g., I suspect that the reason why everything still works is that I had installed the IMSM before, which does not pass TRIM to the drive. Thus, the drive didn't get corrupted so far simply because no TRIM commands have yet been passed to it by the Microsoft driver. However, the SSD Toolbox optimization feature seems to work correctly, as I ran it and the drive is still alive.

Before I heard about the severe problems associated with the recent firmware update, I considered uninstalling IMSM and replacing the Intel drivers with the Microsoft alternatives in order to enable TRIM. However, I now have a feeling that this might turn out to be a quite bad idea.

Is there any statement by Intel Officials about what to do if you flashed the erraneous firmware but your drive is still working? Going back to the earlier firmware is not an option, as the firmware flashing tool rejects doing so. I could live with the way it works now, but it would be an interesting information whether I can safely replace the IMSM driver with the Microsoft one without a risk of bricking the drive and losing all data stored on it as well.

BTW, I am severely disappointed in Intel right now, even though I am not affected by the bug (yet?). I spent 300 USD for this drive not because of the performance (which is great but not worth the additional cost compared to the similarly well performing Indilinx drives), but rather because I had more confidence in Intel regarding data integrity, safety and testing prior to releasing the hardware. The ATA password bug was one thing I could live with (well, we all make mistakes, and ATA passwords are not a commonly used feature), but after many months with TRIM-enabled firmwares already being available from the competitors, Intel should have had the time to test this update thoroughly.

13 REPLIES 13

al3x,

Intel is very sorry about this frustration this is causing you. We are well aware of the issues going on, and are doing our best to resolve this. Please be patient until that time when we'll offer further guidance.

Sincerely,

Brady

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No problem

I wait for the answer of Intel.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for your answer, Brady.

I'll wait a week or two then before sending back my SSD.

Maybe a new firmware can fix this.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

So far no problems with the 160 gb. I had Windows 7 installed with some data on it. Then I did the firmware update. I have some loss in performance.

I did a test with CristelDiskMark.

Before

After

I don't know for sure if it matters, but there are some things I did

before my SSD got to work.

I left 10% free of the volume or un-allocated ...

The SSD is connected with sata port 1

Sata port 2 is free, port 3 > my data disk.

port 4=free, port 5 DVD-writer.

(it' s al about speeding up things)