Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

How to Migrate a Vista x64 C: Partition from RAID1 HDDs to an Intel X25-M (G2) SATA SSD?

BACKGROUND

I have a Dell Precision T3400 running Vista x64 Ultimate SP2 and the latest Dell Flash BIOS A11.It has two Western Digital 500GB SATA 3.0Gb/s hard disks configured in as RAID1 managed by an Intel ICH8R/ICH9R Raid controller.The dual HDDs are logically partitioned into C: and B: drives.I have Acronis True Image Workstation and take regular snapshots of my C: drive and have created a bootable CD-ROM.But, my C: partition is only 60 GB and has only 2 GB of free space remaining and I need to increase its size. So, I purchased a 120GB Intel X25-M SATA Solid-State Drive (SSDSA2MH120G2K5) and installed it into the empty 3.5 inch HDD bay.I connected the SSD to the power cable and plugged the data cable into my empty SATA-4 slot on the motherboard. PROBLEM  My BIOS does not recognize the SSD as a SATA device. I need step-by-step instructions on how to get my system to recognize my new SSD and I'm hoping to get answers to the following questions along the way:
  • How do I made sure my HDDs are still a RAID1 pair after the migration?
  • Do I need to unplug my HDDs from ports SATA-0 and SATA-1 before connecting my SSD?
  • Do I need to connect the SSD to port SATA-0?
  • Do I need to enable ACHI in the BIOS? If so, how and when?
  • When do I use Intel's SSD Firmware Update Tool to upgrade the SSD firmware?
  • When to install the Intel SSD Toolkit with its SSD Optimizer to get TRIM-like garbage collection under Vista?

BIOS Settings

Currently, my six SATA ports are allocated as follows: SATA-0 = 500GB Western Digital HDDSATA-1 = 500GB Western Digital HDDSATA-2 = TSSTcorpDVD-ROM TS-H353BSATA-3 = TSSTcorp DVD+/-RW TS-H653BSATA-4 = Intel X25-M SSD (unrecogized)SATA-5 = not used SATA Operation is set to RAID Autodetect / AHCI = RAID if signed drives, otherwise AHCI The boot sequence is set to: 1. Onboard or USB Floppy Disk (not present)2. Onboard SATA Hard Drive (not present)3. Intel ARRAY4. Onboard or USB CD-ROM Drive5. Onboard Network Controller (not present)6. USB Device My Windows Vista x64 SP2 registry entry for [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci]Start = 0x00000004 (4)
6 Replies
idata
Community Manager

If you are in RAID with the ICH9R or ICH8R, then your SATA controller is already in RAID mode. This is a superset of ACHI. Also, it does not matter which SATA port you use on a controller.

You should definitely flash the firmware before installing anything on it. While the update is non-destructive, there is always a risk. You have to flash it while in IDE Mode.

SATA devices do not show up in the BIOS since they are "under" the controller. If you hit CTRL+F6 (I think that's it) to enter the RAID screen, you should see the SSD.

Intel provides a Data Migration Tool (license from Acronis): http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19324 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=19324

It will allow you to clone your existing C: drive and expand it to 111.76GB.

idata
Community Manager

My apologies for not responding sooner to your post, DuckieHo, but my Intel login credentials stopped working after I started this thread and I didn't realize I could respond without logging in until now.

Here's what I have tried so far:

1. Created a CD-ROM of the Intel® SATA Solid-State Drive Firmware Update Tool

that I downloaded from http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363 http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18363.

2. Changed my boot sequence so that my PC would reboot rom the CD-ROM.

3. Shut down the system, waited 10 seconds, then rebooted.

4. The PC rebooted from the CD-ROM and the utility started to run. But, then it reported nothing but errors. Unfortunately, I did not write them down.

I'm planning on repeating the steps above while my RAID1 HDDs are not plugged into the SATA-0 and SATA-1 ports.

idata
Community Manager

Here's what I just tried:

1. Shut down the system.

2. Disconnected both RAID1 HDDs from the SATA-0 and SATA-1 ports.

3. Connected my Intel SSD to the SATA-0 port.

4. Booted off the Intel Firmware Update Tool CD-ROM.

I got the following error messages:

--InitDisk

illegal partition table - drive 00 sector 0

illegal partition table - drive 00 sector 0

CONFIG.SYS error in line 0

idata
Community Manager

Just to add to what I reported earlier when I tried to boot from the Firmware Update Tool CD-ROM after disconnecting my RAID1 HDDs:

According to the SATA_SSD_Firmware_Update_Tool_Guidelines.PDF, the system should automatically load FreeDOS and start the Firmware Tool Automatically. It should display the following prompt before I have to do anything:

Intel Corporation (R) Firmware Update Tool Version X.X

Copyright (c) 2009 Intel Corporation

Have you read the license agreement on the web page or README.txt file included on this CD (y/n)?:
idata
Community Manager

I decided to return my SSD and get a new one. I'm guessing the first one was defective. Thank you for your help, Duckieho.

idata
Community Manager