cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Rebuild Intel Raid(ICH10R) Outside of Windows?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Computer Info:

Board - Asus P6T WS Pro

SouthBridge- ICH10R

Chipset - X58

CPU - Intel Core i7 920

This board has also a Marvell chip for two SAS drives so my config is:

2x SAS Drives in Raid 1 with Marvell chip

3x SATA drives in Raid 5 with Intel chip

Normally it is impossible to use both raid configs BUT there is a workaround on the net that basically requires to:

1) Enable + configure intel Raid

2) Disable intel ROM for raid (set as AHCI)

3) Enable Marvell ROM for SAS and configure Raid

Once in OS everything works nicely: Both Raid arrays are recognised and work properly. They show up on hardware management and all other resources

However, if one of the drives fails there is a problem.

By reactivating Intel's ROM I have set for "Rebuild Array" and it says that the rebuild will continue once in the OS. In Windows 7, the Intel array the software(IRST 11.7.0.1013) does see that there is a problem(warning) but does not show the array and options to rebuild it. In fact, it does not show that there are any drives connected.

My OS is on Marvell Raid and I have no additional drives to install a temporary windows OS and rebuild the array. Is there a way to rebuild the array by booting from a USB into some sort of DOS, UNIX or any other portable OS? Are there any other options?

Thank you for your help,

Alex

2 REPLIES 2

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Note that on this case I think the best option will be to contact Asus directly since your question is related with RAID specifically.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

That's a quite interesting configuration there. I've never heard of another platform that can run the IRST GUI, or another version of the IRST GUI for DOS, etc.

There is a SMALL chance the following may work, since the current versions of the IRST GUI (11.6, 11.7) when used with Windows 7, don't get along with other SATA controllers. Yes I know yours is SAS, but obviously SATA compatible.

Try using IRST 11.2: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21730&ProdId=2101&lang=eng&OSVersion... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21730&ProdId=2101&lang=eng&OSVersion...

It should install, but just warn you about installing an older version. IRST 11.7 in RAID mode is NOT specified as compatible with the ICH10R. It looks like there has been a transition in IRST, starting in 2012, at least partially due to Windows 8, and the continuing changes made to the PCH type chipset (which in a sense has evolved back into a "south bridge" chip like the ICH10R.) We can't just keep installing the newest versions of IRST on our older chipsets, they won't work correctly.