cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enable hardware encryption of my intel ssd 660p 1TB?

AHuan48
New Contributor

How to enable hardware encryption of my intel ssd 660p 1TB?

I can't find any useful information on the internet.

I hope that the encryption function can be used for theft prevention.

That is to say, if my hard drive is stolen, the thief cannot read anything on my hard drive.

My motherboard does not support ATA password.

I found a way to start hardware encryption is using Bitlocker. But if I forced Bitlocker to use hardware encryption, then the encryption function of bitlocker could not be used.

I am worried about that Intel's "AES256 hardware encryption" is completely different from what I expected.

Mabye the Intel's AES encryption is for secure erase(Destroy the encryption/decryption key directly), not for prevention of theft.

If so, I wast my money on this hard drive....

3 REPLIES 3

Vegan
New Contributor III
New Contributor III

use bitlocker without hardware support for now

usually the UEFI BIOS handles that so look for an update for your rig

bitlocker is very secure, removal of a protected drive is secure but it can be wiped and reused with new operating system and no residual data will be available

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello AHuan48, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Technical Support. I was reviewing your community post and we would like to know if you need further assistance or if we can close this case. We will be looking forward to your reply. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation

JosafathB_Intel
Valued Contributor
Hello AHuan48, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation