cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to erase/format a SSD ?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hi there,

I doubt someone is running the operating system on SSD for years. How to go on now that you want to format/wipe it and reianstal with the operating system again?I cant believe that intel has no tool for it.

thank you

14 REPLIES 14

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel does have a tool for erasing an SSD. It is a feature of the latest Intel SSD Toolbox, 2.0.1. Here's a screen shot of the Toolbox screen where that option is available, it called Secure Erase.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

^ SSD optimizer, last run 2/10/2010...wow, that was a year ago!

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Wow, good eyes there dude! I like to live dangerously, on the edge, ya know... I don' need no stinkin' optimizer...

Sigh, the explanation is mundane, that was an old screen shot I used for another post a year ago... that is quite a coincidence that almost a year to the day I used it again... but wait, did Toolbox 2.0.1 exist a year ago... (Twilight Zone music in the background) How is that possible??

I'm from the future (Arnold/Terminator voice) wait... wait... I'm from the past no... no... uhm... I'm from the island on Lost...

Ok, busted, I reset my BIOS and did not set the date correctly... geez, are ya happy now?! Wait, wait, the Toolbox didn't catch the wrong date, that's a bug, an error, it doesn't work...

... well, do I get credit for answering the question of this thread, or what?? And no, HDDerase don't cut it, the original post said:

"I cant believe that intel has no tool for it"

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

so, it was the Bios, there's no such thing like time travel... right?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

No time travel? Sure there is! Windows let me change a two digit date to be interpreted between the year 0 and 9999. Who knows what the limits in the calendar is? I can set my date to whatever I want, try that with a paper calendar.

Actually, and this is a true story, there was a guy in the US that made millions of dollars in the stock market in a very short time, and was investigated by the IRS. He was arrested for some reason, and when asked how he knew what stock to buy and sell, he said he was from the future and so knew what to do. That story was in the newspaper, but then I never heard about the guy again. I'm serious, I did read that and I wondered whatever happened, but I never saw a follow-up story that said the guy did it by some other method. You never know......