Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
EGear
Novice

How to fix Windows 10 and incorrect DC P4500 SSD Capacity?

Jump to solution

I have a Intel® SSD DC P4500 Series 4.0TB, AIC PCIe 3.1 card installed in a desktop running Windows 10 Home (GPT and UEFI BIOS have been enabled); however, Windows, and SSD Toolbox both show capacity of 1.9TB when it should be 4TB.

Is there anything I'm missing or should be configuring to get it to utilise full 4TB capacity?

Some output below from Intel DC Tool:

C:\isdct> .\isdct.exe show -intelssd

- Intel SSD DC P4500 Series -

Bootloader : 0136

DevicePath : \\\\.\\PHYSICALDRIVE0

DeviceStatus : Healthy

Firmware : QDV101D1

FirmwareUpdateAvailable : The selected Intel SSD contains current firmware as of this tool release.

Index : 0

ModelNumber : INTEL SSDPEDKX040T7

ProductFamily : Intel SSD DC P4500 Series

PhysicalSize : 1900000000000

0 Kudos
1 Solution
EGear
Novice

Hi Diego,

Unfortunately I am unable to supply the screenshot of the drive with the label as I have returned it as faulty to the vendor.

Thanks for all your effort in trying to resolve this.

Kind regards,

E

View solution in original post

17 Replies
DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

Could you please share the full output of the Intel® SSD DCT? Please run the following command and copy the output in a text file so you can attach it in your response.

isdct show -a -intelssd

Additionally, have you tried to run a low-level format on your drive to clean all data in it and see what the capacity is afterwards?

I’ll be waiting for your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

EGear
Novice

Hi Diego,

Attached is the output requested from isdct.

Low level format, using Acronis DriveCleanser via Intel Migration Software, is sitting at 'less than 1 minute remaining for the past 30mins' I'll leave it run as long as possible and send capacity update after it completes.

Thanks,

E

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

Thank you for the information.

Please let me know your updates after the low-level format process is complete. It usually takes long to finish.

In the following article there are 3 additional tools that you could use for this (low-level format): https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000006198/memory-and-storage.html

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

EGear
Novice

Hi Diego,

No increase of capacity when completed low level format.

Thanks,

E

EGear
Novice

Diego, can you tell me what the status lights on the P4500 cards symbolise. I can’t find any documentation detailing.

thanks,

E

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

The status LEDs have the following meaning:

• LED #1 (Drive Activity Indicator): Shows green color when there is activity on the drive.
  • LED #2 (PCIe Link Status): This could be green or amber color. Green color means the PCIe link is good, and it’s amber if the PCIe link is sub-optimal (drive running at Gen1 or Gen2 speed).
  • LED #3 (Health Indicator): If it’s off, it means the drive is healthy, but if it’s amber it means the drive is faulty at some level.

How are the status LEDs in your drive?

I will investigate about this from my side to get additional information about why the drive is only showing half of the capacity. I will post my updates as soon as possible.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

EGear
Novice

Hi Diego,

Status LEDs as follows:

LED #1 (Drive Activity Indicator): Green (blinks when activity on SSD)

LED #2 (PCIe Link Status): Green

LED #3 (Health Indicator): Off

Thanks,

E

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

Based on the status LEDs, the drive is healthy.

On the other hand, could you please download the Intel® System Support Utility (SSU) from the following site and run the full report to collect your system details? Please export the output to a text file and upload it in your response: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/Intel-System-Support-Utility-for-Windows-

Additionally, please also follow these steps to take a screenshot from your system:

1. Open the command prompt as Administrator.
  2. Run the command diskpart.
  3. Run the command list disk. Please take a screenshot of this output.

Finally, please also open Disk Management and take another screenshot of that window. You can open Disk Management by pressing the Windows* key + x and then select the Disk Management option from the menu that will appear.

I will be waiting for you response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

EGear
Novice

Hi Diego,

Please find SSU info attached.

The following are the requested screen captures:

DiskPart.jpg

DiskMgmt.jpg

Acronis DriveCleanser.jpg

Thanks,

E

EGear
Novice

Some MiniTool screenshots:

MiniTool Disk Layouts.jpg

MiniTool Disk Properties.jpg

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

Everything in your system looks fine, so I’m not sure why the drive shows only half of the capacity.

The only recommendation I can think of is to install the NVMe* driver for data center drives available in this site and check if there is any change: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28326/Datacenter-NVMe-Microsoft-Windows-Drivers-for-Intel-...

According to the previous information, you are currently using the driver 16.8.0.1000 which may be the driver from Microsoft* for NVMe* devices. Please try installing the one mentioned above just to check if there is any change in the drive capacity.

Please let me know the results.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

Did you have any different result after installing this NVMe* driver?

Regards,

Diego V.

EGear
Novice

Hi Diego,

I had to boot into Windows 10 safe mode to force the controller to use the drivers - don’t know why - anyway, the Disk Drive changed from INTEL SSDPEDKX040T7 to the NVMe INTEL SSDPEDKX04 and the controller is now a ‘Intel SSD DC P4500/P4600 etc etc Series’ controller.

Tried a low level format again and no change.

Thanks,

E

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

Please let me investigate about this to see what else we can try because this is actually very weird.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

I have been investigating about this, however I would like to check the label on the drive as well as the proof of purchase. Could you please take a screenshot of the drive to see the label on it, and attach the proof of purchase here to check it too?

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

EGear
Novice

Hi Diego,

Unfortunately I am unable to supply the screenshot of the drive with the label as I have returned it as faulty to the vendor.

Thanks for all your effort in trying to resolve this.

Kind regards,

E

View solution in original post

DiegoV_Intel

Hi EGear,

I understand. Thank you for the update.

If you ever have another issue or any concern, please don’t hesitate to post a new thread. We’ll try to help you in any way possible.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.