cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get migration tool software to recognize my X25-M 120GB drive so it will install?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've got an HP notebook computer (dm3-1030US) and bought a new X25-M 120GB drive to replace the notebook's SATA drive. The product code is SSDSA2MH120G2K5. I've got the SSD plugged into an external SATA drive dock, connected to the notebook via USB. Windows 7 sees the unformatted drive connected via USB. However, when I try to install the Intel data migration software, it reports that it can't find an Intel drive, and refuses to install. How do I get the migration tool to install?

Thanks for any help!

34 REPLIES 34

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Can Device Manager see the SSD as Intel or just a generic storage device? If Windows cannot identify it as an Intel device, then the Data Migration tool won't either. Would you happen to have another USB-to-SATA adapter? I know some exhibit this behavior.

As for your questions:

1) Intel offical support can be contacted via chat, email, and phone number: http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=ssd http://www.intel.com/support/feedback.htm?group=ssd

2) You can use a 3rd party disk imaging application. Intel even recommends for Macs. If the SSD is misaligned, there are procedures that can be performed to align it. That being said, Intel controllers are not suppose to be affected by misalignment... I'm trying to get an explanation of this myself.

The easiest solution would be to take the SSD and the current HDD to a desktop. Just unplug some optical drives temporarily.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I wonder if this is because support for the 120GB models has not been updated in the migration software? I see that Build 14133 added support for the X25-E on the 2nd November but there is no mention of the (new) 120GB drives, so maybe the migration software needs to be updated to recognise it? It would explain why it is not recognised even though it can see it.

(Mondoman) The migration software only works with Intel SSD's. If the software has not been updated to include support for the120GB version it may well not see it as an Intel drive. As this drive has only just come out it is possible that it has no support yet.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

redux, I didn't think of that! That would be *incredibly* sloppy work by Intel (like sending out a 160GB drive in all the UPC-labeled packaging for the 80GB drive because the correct packaging wasn't ready yet), so I hope it's not true.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Hey guys, I just confirmed that that Data Migration Tool does in fact work with the 120GB X25-M. That means the issue is with the SATA-to-USB adapter.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for checking - that makes more sense!