cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get migration tool software to recognize my X25-M 120GB drive so it will install?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've got an HP notebook computer (dm3-1030US) and bought a new X25-M 120GB drive to replace the notebook's SATA drive. The product code is SSDSA2MH120G2K5. I've got the SSD plugged into an external SATA drive dock, connected to the notebook via USB. Windows 7 sees the unformatted drive connected via USB. However, when I try to install the Intel data migration software, it reports that it can't find an Intel drive, and refuses to install. How do I get the migration tool to install?

Thanks for any help!

34 REPLIES 34

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Just wanted to say "thanks!" to Duckie and redux for their quick responses here. I've seen both of your posts on other threads as well, and you're both a credit to the forum and a big help to us newbies here.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, broke down and hooked up the Intel SSD to my desktop SATA, the notebook HDD to the computer via USB dock, and got the Intel migration software to install and run. A few minor user interface complaints about the software, but it produced a working image on the SSD, so I'm happy. Win 7 is happy, too, with hard drive experience score going up from 5.9 to 7.5. The Intel Toolbox software installed and ran without a hitch -- it's great and definitely up to the level of what I expect from Intel.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Congrats and enjoy!

If you ever get the chance, would you be able to find out what SATA-USB chip is used in your docking station? It would be good to compile a known issues list.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Good job Duckie!

Given that the problem is the SATA-USB chip, (I'm not implying that it isn't) this is a perfect example of what can go wrong with software that has to work with many different interfacing devices, such as this chip. There are a myriad of things that could be wrong, and that includes the Intel software, although the task of communicating with an interface depends on so many things being just right and that all standards and protocols are strictly adhered to. All it takes is one parameter not being communicated or communicated incorrectly, or assumptions on either side of the interface regarding the communication protocol that turn out to be wrong, to cause a program to fail.

As a former software engineer, I've always felt that a program can never have any chance of being perfect or operating correctly unless it's data is verified up, down, and sideways. Any programmer that works with data interfaces can tell you that a good percentage of a programs code is used to verify data and deal with bad data. I used to say, software is always "broken", and a programmers work is never done.