cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get migration tool software to recognize my X25-M 120GB drive so it will install?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I've got an HP notebook computer (dm3-1030US) and bought a new X25-M 120GB drive to replace the notebook's SATA drive. The product code is SSDSA2MH120G2K5. I've got the SSD plugged into an external SATA drive dock, connected to the notebook via USB. Windows 7 sees the unformatted drive connected via USB. However, when I try to install the Intel data migration software, it reports that it can't find an Intel drive, and refuses to install. How do I get the migration tool to install?

Thanks for any help!

34 REPLIES 34

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

parsec, what annoyed me in this case was that the software wouldn't install not for a technical reason (the transfer would have worked), but rather for a mickey-mouse (IMHO) copy-protection issue. I understand Intel being worried about indiscriminate use of the software, but there are other ways to deal with that that won't hassle legitimate users like me (e.g. single-use or limited-time activation codes).

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

All,

Just to clear this issue up - the Intel Data Migration Software only works when one end of the cloning process includes an Intel SSD. Various Apricorn cloning kits/cables mask the unique ID that identifies a storage device as an Intel storage device. If you're having this issue, call Intel Customer Support, and they can help you out...

-Scott, Intel Corporation

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Oh, I see... I didn't know that Mondoman. Yes, certainly frustrating, but I can understand why the protection is there.

Acronis, as I recall are the makers of that software, which is called Acronis True Image, is a product they sell, although Intel has purchased some usage of it as in the case of the disk image cloning software for Intel SSD's. I received a copy of Acronis software with an Intel mother board I purchased a while ago, that was on the supplied driver and software DVD. You cannot download that software from Intel's support pages for that mother board, and although I've never tried it on a different PC, I'm guessing it will only work on Intel mother boards, or perhaps only this one.

The obvious reason for that and the restrictions that caused your grief is to keep their product from being endlessly copied and used for free, as you know can happen in the PC world via the Internet. Unfortunately in your case, the program was "smart" enough to not allow the copy when it could not identify the destination 'drive as an Intel SSD, as described by SSDelightful. That turns out to be a variation on the theme of what I described in my previous post, the expected protocol was not followed so the program stopped, albeit gracefully, rather than crashing, which left you out of luck regardless.

Frankly, it was a basic and major protocol error from Intel/Acronis's perspective, and likely unknown to or ignored by Apricorn. Or do you not buy into the explanation given by SSDelightful?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

I agree with pretty much all of what you write; it's more a matter of perspective and expectations. I would think that single-drive notebook HDD drive replacement is a major part of the Intel SSD market. For those systems, the major way to connect the SSD for data transfer will be via an external USB/SATA converter or dock. In practice, it seems that such docks/converters will often not allow the system to directly see the "Intel" ID of the drive.

Thus, if I were selling the drive, I wouldn't rely on a mechanism (looking for an Intel ID) that is likely to often fail for legitimate Intel SSD purchasers. There are other easy-to-implement mechanisms, for example using the drive SSN as a limited-use-count or limited-time-period key to activate the migration software, that would avoid this forseeable issue.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Ya know, you make a very good point in the scenario you described, the replacement of a laptop's HDD with a SSD.

Given the popularity of the USB interface, particularly with external HDD cases, that situation will be quite common. Also, the less sophisticated user (not you!) is far more likely to use the USB interface, have the cable handy, while likely not having spare SATA cables, or even less likely, an eSATA cable, as well as the chance of an eSATA jack on a laptop being slim to none. USB and eSATA are the two most common interfaces used on external 'drive enclosures as far as I've seen, which is why I mention the later.

I am not at all familiar with the Startech/Apricorn (I'm confused, both are mentioned) equipment, but I can't see how the problem can be the USB cable, as implied by what SSDelightful wrote, USB 2.0 cables have a total of four connecting points on each end, two of which are used for data transfer. Or is there some weird SATA plug to USB plug cable, I've never seen that, unless there are some electronics in the cable I can't see how that would work. Dismissing that, the problem must be in the Startech/Apricorn firmware or the processing chip(s).

The question is will this particular Acronis/Intel software fail with all USB interface devices, or is this just an issue with certain USB equipment? Intel should put a warning about that in the softwares documentation in either case, or is it already there?