cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get rid of IastorV.sys after clean Windows 7 install

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Using a Dell Dimension E520 I must set the bios to the RAID/ACHI setting working towards a TRIM enabled SSD X25-M configuration. Windows 7 installs nicely, but after checking de driver page of the IDE/ATA adapter, it states the "IastorV.sys" driver from Intel (no TRIM). Clearly this drivers is configured by the Windows 7 installer as I have not installed any Matrix Raid drivers seperately.

How do I get the Microsoft ACHI driver instead of the Intel ones, in order to enable TRIM?

You be clear: I do not use any RAID configuration of any drive, it's just that the BIOS must be set to RAID/ACHI.

5 REPLIES 5

DZand
Contributor III

@ Slonk:

Are you sure, that your SSD is running in AHCI Mode? To verify that you should check the name of the Intel Controller shown within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager.

If your SSD is running in AHCI Mode, you can easily change the used driver by doing a right click onto the related AHCI Controller > "Update driver software > "Browse my Computer..." > "Let me pick ..." > let the Device Manager show all compatible devices > choose the device, which uses the driver named MSAHCI.SYS.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@ Fernando:

Well, the device manager does not show any IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller. It does show "Intel(R) ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R SATA RAID -controller" under Storage Controllers. The device driver on this storage controller is IastorV.sys.So even if I have no RAID config, I guess al my IO goes trough this driver.

The bios on this mobo is an intel RAID bios which includes AHCI, according tot community and according to the bios boot screen.

Maybe it is not possible to install mhahci on this config?

DZand
Contributor III

@ Slonk:

The fact, that you have no Intel SATA AHCI Controller, but an Intel SATA RAID Controller within your Device Manager, verifies, that the SATA Controllers have been set to "RAID Mode" within the mainboard BIOS. This doesn't make any sense, because you don't want to create any RAID array.

As long as you don't change the SATA Mode from "RAID" to "AHCI", you probably won't be able to use the generic MS AHCI driver named MSAHCI.SYS.

My suggestion:

Enter the mainboard BIOS and look for an option to switch the Intel SATA Controllers from "RAID" to "AHCI".

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

<!--[if gte mso 9]> Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" Semi...