Intel® Optane™ Memory
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Optane™ Memory
Announcements
Want to learn how Intel® Optane™ Memory can help your business? Talk to our Expert!

Looking for our RealSense Community? Click HERE

The Intel® SSD Toolbox and Intel® Data Center Tool are now End-Of-Life, see for more information and replacements tools here
1343 Discussions

How to have both 660p SSD and Optane drive both work in system

DKize
Novice
0 Kudos
1 Solution
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I did not ask to move Optane memory to Akasa. I ask to swap between the NVMe SSDs.
  2. Any way is the 660P SSD recognized in Bios while installed directly in M.2 slot?
  3. What you mean by saying: "...and same thing."? Do you mean that your 660P is recognized, however you see Storport GSOD?
  4. If the answer for para. 3 is yes:
  5. Boot into Command Prompt from Advanced Menu and execute command chkdsk [volume:] /f [#] and press Enter. Replace [volume:] by drive letter.
  6. Repair your Windows with an in place upgrade: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html . You will have version 1903 installed without need to reinstall your programs.
  7. If the answer to para. 2 is no (i.e. your 660P SSD is not recognized in Bios), claim for warranty replace.

Leon

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. You can't do it and you don't need to do it. Optane Memory can accelerate only SATA drives. The Intel 660p SSD is an NVMe drive and can't be accelerated.
  2. However if you have two M.2 slots PCIe x 4, in one of the slots you may install 660p NVMe SSD and in the second slot you may install Optane memory module. Now, on the 660p drive you may install Windows and other programs and with Optane Memory you may accelerate (if you wish) a secondary SATA HDD containing data .

Leon

0 Kudos
n_scott_pearson
Super User

If your goal is to have the 660p as your boot drive and to also have an Optane​ Memory module accelerate the performance of a separate SATA HDD/SSD/SSHD, then you require a motherboard that has two M.2 Type M NVMe sockets and full support in its BIOS for NVMe and Intel RST with Optane Support.

H​ope this helps,

...S

0 Kudos
DKize
Novice

So my board has 3 M.2 slots and I have each populated. The 660p SSD is in a PCIe 8x slot as a fourth NVME drive. and is new.

Previously I had the Optane and a HDD in an array as a backup solution and it worked fine.

Now I've added the 660p to ultimately replace the Optane/HDD as my backup but when I plug the 660p in and reboot I see the Storport GSOD and the system just reboots over and over until I remove the 660p and then it boots.

How do I get all of the drives working with Optane/HDD enabled so I can start transferring data?

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. So, you have four M.2 slots on your board? Two are taken by old SSD drives, in the third slot you have Optane Memory Module installed and in the fourth you want install a new 660P SSD? Probably the fourth slot is not compatible with SSD NVMe drive.
  2. What is the model and P/N of your board?

Leon

0 Kudos
DKize
Novice

it's the Z390 AORUS XTREME (rev. 1.0). Not the water version, just the basic Extreme. The thing is I had it all working but I had to reinstall my OS and since then I can't get it all back in harmony. I had the Optane array setup using the latest iRST, my primary OS SSD running under the iRST driver as well and my third SSD running as NVME PCIE. I popped in the 660p and configured it to run with the Intel 660p driver and it was great. Now I can't get that scenario to work.

Optane in the M2M

ADATA SSD in the M2A

SAMSUNG 960EVO in the M2P

Had the 660p in the PCIEX8 slot in an AKASA Dual NVME adapter.

thanks!

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User

Can you swap ADATA SSD or the SAMSUNG SSD with the 660P. Just to verify that the problem is not caused by the AKASA Dual NVME adapter?

Leon

0 Kudos
DKize
Novice

So I put the 660p in the slot where the Optane stick was and the Optane is now in the Akasa on the PCIEX8 slot and same thing. However, I don't have the iRST turned on at all so everything is via AHCI.

0 Kudos
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. I did not ask to move Optane memory to Akasa. I ask to swap between the NVMe SSDs.
  2. Any way is the 660P SSD recognized in Bios while installed directly in M.2 slot?
  3. What you mean by saying: "...and same thing."? Do you mean that your 660P is recognized, however you see Storport GSOD?
  4. If the answer for para. 3 is yes:
  5. Boot into Command Prompt from Advanced Menu and execute command chkdsk [volume:] /f [#] and press Enter. Replace [volume:] by drive letter.
  6. Repair your Windows with an in place upgrade: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html . You will have version 1903 installed without need to reinstall your programs.
  7. If the answer to para. 2 is no (i.e. your 660P SSD is not recognized in Bios), claim for warranty replace.

Leon

0 Kudos