Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

How would I get the Intel Data Migration software to work with my M.2 SSD 660p as I need to upgrade my main drive and it does not recognize the drive?

Jump to solution

As my motherboard only allows one NVMe I need to use a USB adapter. I attached and formatted the drive but it appears as a SSK Drive when in fact the drive is the Intel 660 but the adapter is the SSK. When I attempt to install the Data Migration software I receive an error that an Intel drive must be present as it does not see the Intel 660.

Thank you.

Jeff

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Novice

Josh,

Thanks for the reminder.........

I removed the original drive and installed it in the USB adapter, installed the replacement drive onto the MB and tried several times to boot from the USB adapter but received errors and finally gave up on that route.

Placed the original drive back onto the MB and just for the heck of it, installed the blank drive in the other M.2 slot, booted the computer and the BIOS recognized the new drive! So went searching for the correct driver and eventually downloaded a utility from your site that found the drive and installed the correct driver. I ran the mitigation software and are VERY happy to report, it worked!

So it appears that the generic manual that came with the MB did not apply to my actual MB........

Either way, I am very appreciative that you helped me with this problem and thank you for your time.

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Highlighted
Hello JMatt14, Thank you for contacting Intel® Memory & Storage Support. As we understand, you need assistance with your Intel® SSD 660p. In order to better understand your current configuration, please review and provide us with the following information: • The SSU logs. 1- Go to https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25293/ and download the software. 2- When finished downloading it, open it. 3- Attach the file obtained to your reply. • A screenshot of the Disk manager showing all the storage devices. To access the disk manager you can choose from the following 2 ways: # 1: Open it from the Quick Access Menu. o Right-click the bottom-left corner (or Start button) on the desktop to open Quick Access Menu, and then choose Disk Management. # 2: Access Disk Management via Run. o Use Windows+R to open Run, type “diskmgmt.msc” in the empty box and tap OK. • Please notice that some Intel® tools cannot be used when the SSD is connected externally through an adapter or enclosure. Also, some back-planes may cause the Intel® SSD Toolbox to not recognize the SSD properly. We will be looking forward to your reply in order to further assist you. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Josh,

Thank you for responding to my post.

As per your request, please find attached the SSU report and pics of Computer Management/Disk Management screen. I also attached pics of the M.2 Drive and the SSK Adapter.

Thank you again for your help.

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice
posted a file.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Josh,

I look forward to a solution!

Thanks

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello JMatt14,

Thank you for your reply and for the information provided.

• Based on the SSU your OS recognize the “Intel® SSD 660p Series” as the “SSK HE-C325 USB Device” since it is connected through this device to your computer and the error message that you are receiving is expected since the Data migration software does not recognize any Intel® SSD in your system.

• As mentioned in the download center (https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27960/Intel-Data-Migration-Software?product=80098):

** Note: Some third-party cables or adapters work (USB to SATA, USB to M.2), but it is important the cable or adapter exports the correct model string to the operating system. If Intel Data Migration Software doesn’t receive the correct model string, it fails to detect the drive in the operating system and does not install. The cable or adapter must supply power to run the drive. Without power, the drive goes offline and the clone fails.

• Our recommendation due to the fact that your “Asus* ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO” does not have the option to connect more than one NVMe drive is to switch the drives and connect your 660p SSD directly to the motherboard and your "NVMe Samsung* SSD 960 SCSI Disk Device" to the external USB device and to try to run the software one more time.

• Another option is to contact your motherboard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) in this case Asus* to check if they have a compatible PCI card in which you will be able to connect you’re your "NVMe Samsung* SSD 960 SCSI Disk Device" in order to connect your “Intel® SSD 660p Series” directly to the board.

I hope you find this information useful. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back.

Best regards,

Josh B.

Intel® Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Josh,

Thank you for the follow up and that great idea!

I am going to install the Intel 660p directly to the motherboard and then attempt to boot from the original drive that I will mount in the SSK adapter through the USB port...... Download and install the data migration software and give it a go.

I will post the results as soon as I have tried this work-around.

Thank you again

Jeff

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hello Jeff, Thank you for your reply, We will look forward to your reply letting us know the results of the workaround. If you need further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hello Jeff, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Josh,

Thanks for the reminder.........

I removed the original drive and installed it in the USB adapter, installed the replacement drive onto the MB and tried several times to boot from the USB adapter but received errors and finally gave up on that route.

Placed the original drive back onto the MB and just for the heck of it, installed the blank drive in the other M.2 slot, booted the computer and the BIOS recognized the new drive! So went searching for the correct driver and eventually downloaded a utility from your site that found the drive and installed the correct driver. I ran the mitigation software and are VERY happy to report, it worked!

So it appears that the generic manual that came with the MB did not apply to my actual MB........

Either way, I am very appreciative that you helped me with this problem and thank you for your time.

Jeff

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hello Jeff, Thank you for your reply. We are glad to hear that you were able to solve the issue that you were experiencing with the tool. We will proceed to close this case. Please, do not hesitate to contact us back if you need further assistance. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
0 Kudos