Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pwlees
Beginner

I/O errors after secure erasing 540s M2 drive - any hope ?

Experienced a number of freeze-up errors on my 540s M2 drive (SSDSCKKW240H6)

Took the following steps:

• applied latest firmware --> returned OK (currently LSF042C)
  • attempted to copy data off, but encountered too many I/O errors
  • secure erased drive on linux using hdutil (as per https://grok.lsu.edu/article.aspx?articleid=16716)
  • ran extended offline smartctl test --> log showed that the scan succeeded
  • no apparent errors in SMART attributes

Everything seems OK - but when I try to create a partition table on the newly-erased drive, I get I/O errors, and can't write any data.

I tried a second secure erase... but still experiencing the I/O errors.

Any suggestions, or is this device simply FUBAR ?

command & log output here: http://bit.ly/2BRRI7h

0 Kudos
6 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Sounds like it is in trouble. Odd that S.M.A.R.T. is not predicting a failure, considering the errors.

...S

DiegoV_Intel

Hi pwlees,

Thank you for posting in the Intel® communities.

I understand you are getting I/O errors in the SSD. Is there any chance that you can connect the drive in a Windows* system and run the Intel® SSD Toolbox to perform a Full Diagnostic Scan and also to provide the drive details using this tool?

The tool can be downloaded from the following site: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28447/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-Toolbox

To export the drive details, just click on the “Export” button at the lower right corner, and attach the file in your response.

Have a nice day.

Regards,

Diego V.

Intel Customer Support Technician

Under Contract to Intel Corporation

JosafathB_Intel

Hello pwlees, Thank you for having contacted Intel® Memory & Storage Support. This is just a friendly reminder that your case remains open. Should you need our technical assistance please do not hesitate to contact us back. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
pwlees
Beginner

intel ssd check.PNGThanks for the reply.

I ran a Full Diagnostic Scan on the drive & the result was : Read Scan Completed Successfully.

Drive details attached.

I still cannot create a partition. Windows Disk Management "could not perform the request because of an an I/O device error"

Note that the computer is an Intel "SkullCanyon" (NUC6i7KYK) NUC. I have tried the SSD in both slot 0 and slot 1. Same problem. Other SSD's are working correctly in each slot.

JosafathB_Intel

Hi pwlees, Thank you for your reply and the information provided. You are going to receive an email shortly from our advance technical support department in order to further assist you. Thank you for your patience and understanding. Best regards, Josh B. Intel® Customer Support Technician Under Contract to Intel Corporation
pwlees
Beginner

Thankyou Josh

I'm very impressed with the responsiveness on this forum - it has exceeded my expectations and sets a high standard that other organisations should aspire to.