cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can install Windows XP Professional on to my D3-S4610 drive, but I cannot boot from that drive after installation.

BSAUN6
New Contributor

I have an D3-S4610 SSD onto which I have installed ​Windows XP Professional (5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600.  Unfortunately, once installed, I cannot boot from this drive as the BIOS does not recognize the drive as "bootable" even though the BIOS does know that it is there.

I have tried this this with an older SSD that I have, a Pro 5400s, and I can install and boot the XP installation with no change to the BIOS.

Does anyone have any experience similar to this and can offer some constructive advice?  If possible, I'd prefer not to update the BIOS as it's a production machine.

The motherboard (Supermicro X8DA3/X8DAi) and BIOS (version 1.0c from 08/08/09) and is relatively old.  We're talking 2009/2010. 

3 REPLIES 3

AlHill
Contributor II

Sorry, XP has not been supported since 2014. You need to abandon XP and move to Windows 10. I am sure you think you have an application that is dependent on XP, but you have to face reality - you are using an OS that is close to twenty years old. If there is anything specific in XP you need, install an XP virtual machine on Windows 10, and run your app there.

Doc

BSAUN6
New Contributor

I can't disagree with you about the fact the Windows XP is now part of ancient history, but it's not just XP that I'm having an issue with because I have the same issue with Linux.

My thinking is that it's a BIOS issue and I'm trying to determine that if it is the BIOS, is there an interim solution that I can easily deploy (I've got 500+ of these systems to deal with)

until the next development push with up-to-date hardware and software.

Anyway, many thanks for replying. I appreciate that you took time to look and comment.

Kind regards,

Barrie

AlHill
Contributor II

I know of no interim solution or work-around.

Doc