cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INTEL, Where is our G1 TRIM support? Please answer

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Intel,

Will you be providing G1 TRIM support in a future firmware upgrade for your early SSD adopters? Please give a yes or no answer.

Thank you,

Robert

Austin TX

38 REPLIES 38

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

dbm,

Of course the technology marches on, but the problem here is the serious defect in the G1 drives that Intel originally denied and now users are stuck with.

And to repeat, even if (let's suppose for the sake of argument, and probably contrary to fact) it's simply impossible to trim the G1 drives, then, because of the grave performance defect in G1 drives, Intel should have offered a free or reduced cost G1 trade-in program once the G2s became readily available.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

It is a false assertion to say that the G1 drives are defective. I'm pretty sure Intel would not appeciate that assertion. ALL SSD produced by ALL vendors during the time of the G1 drives do not and still do not have TRIM. That goes for OCZ, Cosaiar, etc. The only drives that have TRIM are their 2nd gen drives. At the initial time craze of SSD's windows 7's was still in beta and TRIM was still being looked at Windows 7. It was only after SSD started becoming popular that Microsoft looked at implementing features in their WIN 7 operating system to support SSDs. The facts stand by what I say because all you have to do is go look at the OCZ 1st gen forum.

Last, there are ways to recover G1 performance very easily.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If it's a false assertion, then why did Intel deny the defect initially, and then later admit it and redesign the G2 drives/firmware to avoid it? If this defect--or whatever euphemism you and Intel would prefer--had been honestly revealed by Intel pre-purchase, very few would have bought their drives which cost several times as much as the competition, since few care about amazing "out of the box" performance that necessarily and without warning degrades after the drive is used normally (not filled, just used). The defects of drives costing at the time a fraction as much are, IMHO, rather immaterial--one might expect cheap drives to have cheap capabilities.

And as you may also know, your "easy" way to restore G1 performance involves pretty advanced technical techniques that in addition to requiring one to image and restore the disks every time the fix is applied, (a) often won't execute properly (as with my workstation, e.g.), (b) sometimes brick the drive when they appear to execute properly, and (c) when successful are very temporary.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Your augment is flawed. A product should be supported during its service life, not by how it was manufactured. The G1 comes with a three year warranty so if you assume the service life is three years this product is not obsolete for another 2 years.

If you apply your account of obsolete you will soon see that the G2 is also not supported because Intel will be using 25nm. Maybe you will then find you have reason to be not so happy.

Not providing TRIM is just a petty act by Intel.

Edit: and by the way you are correct you cannot rewrite history but you can certainly learn from it.

Does the drive do what Intel claimed it does when you bought it? If so, that's Intel's only obligation. There is no obligation to add features to a previously sold model. When you buy a car and the manufacturer puts a bigger engine in the next model year, do you insist they replace the engine in your car?

Yes, many times manufactures do add features through firmware updates to old models, but not always. I have an SSD from another manufacturer which never gets any firmware updates, much less TRIM support. It continues to do what it did when I bought it.