cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISM and RTS question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, got a question that I am having a really hard time finding.

I do get a lot of returns on RTS and TRIM, but nothing on this question.

So for a while I have been really used to IMS (Intel Matrix Storage). Now that RTS has downloads out for what is replacing IMS my question is this.

Do I uninstall IMS Reboot

and

Install RTS = Thats it?

Also the latest version I have is

9.5.7.1002 ..........Anything newer?

I wouldnt keep both since they both do the same thing right?

Specs

Rampage II Extreme (Intel Chipset)

2 Intell SSD's G2 80GB

2 HDD RAID 0

Thanks for all the expert help!

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DZand
Contributor III

joconnor3881 schrieb:

Do I uninstall IMS Reboot

and

Install RTS = Thats it?

Also the latest version I have is

9.5.7.1002 ..........Anything newer?

I wouldnt keep both since they both do the same thing right?

Here are my answers:

1. You can install the IRST package without any problems. The IMSM software will be uninstalled automaticly.

2. The latest IRST version is 9.5.7.1002.

3. It is impossibe to run both IRST and IMSM simultaneously, because I are doing the same job (but another way).

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Tosh9i.....I noticed a diff:)

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

But you have yours set up as RAID which doesn't support Trim. Mine is a single SSD with ACHI, which does support Trim.

And I'm curious as to whether or not this new version supports Trim and if I should install it.

Sorry, all this SSD, TRIM, ACHI, is new to me. Up until a couple days ago, I had no idea what they stood for.

Update: Well, by upgrading the RST driver, I managed to increase the WEI of the hard drive (SSD) from 5.9 to 7.7. Now my WEI score is 7.4.

DZand
Contributor III

tosh9i schrieb:

And I'm curious as to whether or not this new version supports Trim and if I should install it.

None of the currently available Intel AHCI drivers do natively support the Trim command.

Nevertheless it is a good idea to install them, because

a) they are optimized for being used with Intel SSD's and

b) the use of the Optimizer (=part of Intel's SSD Toolbox) has the same or maybe even a better effect than the automatic Trim command support by the generic MS IDE/AHCI drivers.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

@Fernando...

Since I have seen your name around these boards a lot maybe you can give me an update as well to the current status.

THINGS I UNDERSTAND

TRIM= Automatic on AHCI

TRIM= Manaul if you use RAID using toolbox

TRIM= Doesnt work if you run RAID0, either auto or using toolbox

Since I have my bios set to RAID and have the following setup

2 Intel X25 80GB G2 (newest Firmware) RAID0

2 WDBE RAID0

My performance seems great! Just like some things I should watch out for, and any idea when the new RTS will support RAID.

Last but not least windows reconized my ssd's but still writes to my prefetch folder. Everything else is turned off by windows. Is this because I still have 2 HDD's installed??

Thanks

John

DZand
Contributor III

@ joconnor3881:

Here ae some details regarding TRIM:

• TRIM will only be automaticly supported, if you are running Win7 and using the generic MS IDE/AHCI or future Intel RST AHCI drivers v9.6.x.xxxx.
  • Manual TRIMming using the Optimizer of Intel's Toolbox is no problem as long as your SSD's are not running in RAID mode.
  • TRIM is not supported at all, if your SSD's are connected with SATA ports running in RAID mode. If you want to clean the SSD, you have to use a tool like HDDErase (only usable after having broken the RAID).

It is possible, that Win7 is still using the Prefetch option, because your SSD's are within a RAID array. If you don't want it, you can disable the Prefetch option manually.

Regards

Fernando