cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ISM and RTS question

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

OK, got a question that I am having a really hard time finding.

I do get a lot of returns on RTS and TRIM, but nothing on this question.

So for a while I have been really used to IMS (Intel Matrix Storage). Now that RTS has downloads out for what is replacing IMS my question is this.

Do I uninstall IMS Reboot

and

Install RTS = Thats it?

Also the latest version I have is

9.5.7.1002 ..........Anything newer?

I wouldnt keep both since they both do the same thing right?

Specs

Rampage II Extreme (Intel Chipset)

2 Intell SSD's G2 80GB

2 HDD RAID 0

Thanks for all the expert help!

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

DZand
Contributor III

joconnor3881 schrieb:

Do I uninstall IMS Reboot

and

Install RTS = Thats it?

Also the latest version I have is

9.5.7.1002 ..........Anything newer?

I wouldnt keep both since they both do the same thing right?

Here are my answers:

1. You can install the IRST package without any problems. The IMSM software will be uninstalled automaticly.

2. The latest IRST version is 9.5.7.1002.

3. It is impossibe to run both IRST and IMSM simultaneously, because I are doing the same job (but another way).

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

DZand
Contributor III

ambizytl schrieb:

"b) the use of the Optimizer (=part of Intel's SSD Toolbox) has the same or maybe even a better effect than the automatic Trim command support by the generic MS IDE/AHCI drivers."

Now, Fernando, how is it possible for running TRIM via Optimizer better than automatic TRIM??? If anything, I see TRIM running automatically as the best way to go.

This is what a German expert had written http://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/14174951-post1191.html here about the difference of automatic and manual TRIM (translation done by me):

"My experience with TRIM is, that you will get the best results by doing it manually with Intel's Toolbox.

You will not see the speed difference in usual benchmark tests, but I see the difference, when I use the AS SSD benchmark test."

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

The funny thing about experts is they often disagree. Now I don't claim to be an expert, but I question what you say. For one thing, my AS SSD benchmark result is better than what I saw you post, so I don't know what you mean.

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Message deleted--replied to wrong person.

Message was edited by: ambizytl

DZand
Contributor III

@ ambizytl:

Your benchmark results and the comparison with those I have published previously doesn't verify, that there is no difference between manual and automatic trimming, because

a) we probably do have different SATA Controllers and defintively are using different AHCI drivers, and

b) you used another (older) version of the AS SSD benchmark tool than me.

Furthermore I didn't affirm, that according to my own experience the manual Trim by using the Optimizer may be better than the automatic Trim.

Regards

Fernando

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Well, unless you can confirm there is a difference, then the only conclusion I can draw from your result and mine is there is no advantage using manual TRIM. As for our different versions of AS SSD, I seriously doubt that is of any significance.

One so-called "expert" making a statement without qualifying it by posting results to prove his/her point is useless information to me.