cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installation of 530 Series SSD in Dell XPS 8700

GUnde
New Contributor

Hello Everyone,

I've just received a new Dell XPS 8700 and it is still in the box. It came from Dell equipped with a 1TB HDD on which Windows 8 is installed along with the other preloaded junk I do not want. I don't have any data on the HDD. I have also purchased an Intel 240GB 530 series SSD for installation. I would like to load the OS and other apps onto the SSD and use the HDD for data. I have watched the Intel SSD videos about installation, data migration, toolbox, etc. and have looked through the community posts about installation. I am also waiting for the OS install disks from Dell. I have some computer experience and am looking for any tips/advice to make the SSD install as pain free as possible. My main questions:

1. Would it be best to wait for the OS disks from Dell then do a clean install of Windows 8 on the SSD?If so, any tips or steps I should be aware of would be appreciated.
  2. Would cloning as shown in the Intel video with the Apricorn (or similar device) be easier/better?
  3. After the OS is on the SSD, what do I need to do to remove it from the HDD?
  4. I have read that after installing the SSD I need to go into BIOS and make a change to ACHI. Is that correct?
  5. Any other changes I need to make in BIOS to make sure the SSD works correctly and make sure the system boots up?

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions you might have.

Take care,

George
6 REPLIES 6

Jose_H_Intel1
Valued Contributor II

Hello George, I believe that the answer to the first two questions is a matter of personal preference.

Basically the only change needed in BIOS is the boot order, mostly if your computer has room for both drives, but if you replace one drive for the other there is probably no need to.

AHCI is usually a default setting in BIOS and it offers some advantages over IDE or legacy SATA modes, so it is a setting that it is not required to be modified. I would leave the SATA controller mode as it is, especially if you are migrating or cloning the operating system. You may also refer to the information provided with your system, or contact the manufacturer since not all computer BIOS have the same settings.

Thanks for the reply Joe. I've seen some informative and helpful videos on installing an SSD on Youtube. I think I've got it all squared away. Now I just have to wait for the UPS driver to deliver my SSD.

Thanks for the help.

George

GStep2
New Contributor

I am experiencing the same problem. New Dell XPS-8700 and 240GB 530 SDD. The SSD is visible in the BIOS, but the OS does not see it, and I was hoping to clone the OS disk.

Any suggestions? I don't have the Windows 8 install CD's from Dell.

GUnde
New Contributor

That is the exact same problem I had. I finally gave up on the cloning path and did a clean install of windows 8. You can get a windows 8 disc from Dell, but you need to request it. I did it online and received the disc in 2 days. I looked on the Dell site, but I couldn't find where it is located. I'm sure if you call them they would send it out.

Good luck,

George