Did you mean: 

Intel 320 40GB Writes before failure?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

When i check the SMART attributes in the Intel Toolbox it shows:

E1 Host Writes: 88.16GB

F1 Host Writes: 88.16GB

F2 Host Reads: 80.59GB

At how many GB's should i be concerned about the drive failing? This is the first SSD at my office (kind of a try out for future upgrades) and i've been using it since 6/2/2011. Write/Read numbers are already higher then on the Intel X-25M 80GB G2 I have installed on my home Tower that I've had since 2/24/2010.

Any info would be really apprecitiated.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

If http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=271063 this thread is anything to go by, the flash wearout is the last thing you should be concerned with. They're doing an endurance test with bunch of small/large/compressible/incompressible file writes, and 320 40GB wrote almost 80TB so far with little to no sign of wearout. By far the biggest reason for SSD failures, it appears, is faulty firmware or shoddy build quality of the controller hardware.

edit:

...although, 88GB in less than 5 days seem unusually high. a refurbished drive maybe?

idata
Esteemed Contributor III

Thanks for that link. If what they are doing is accurate i have nothing to worry about for it wearing out. That link/thread is nuts, lol. Was a good read. Can't beat Intel durability with SSDs as far as im concerned

idata
Esteemed Contributor III