Solid State Drives
Support for Issues Related to Intel® Solid State Drives
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
4365 Discussions

Intel 320 SSD 120GB Drive failure question - can't see drive in SATA dock

Jcunn7
Beginner

I recently (September) bought a 120GB SSD from NewEgg to replace my aging 120GB WD drive that was in my laptop. I did a clean load of Win7 onto the drive. I've been running since then with no issues. The machine has been booted probably about 4-5 times in that timeframe to load patches/updates. I found a message on the screen a couple of days ago stating "Windows has detected a critical error with your hard drive it is recommended you back up your files immediately". I copied the files I needed to get off the drive over to a spare 1TB drive I had in my USB/SATA dock. I then tried to shut down some of the running programs so I could have a look at the drive. The machine then froze up and became un-responsive. I rebooted, and the machine reported no bootable devices. I put my old 120GB drive backinto my machine and booted up. I place the SSD in a Themaltake SATA dock. The drive shows inactive, and shows 0 bytes avaliable. I downloaded a copy of the Intel SSD toolbox (3.0.2) and loaded it onto my old drive. When I run it, it will show the WD drive, and shows it is not an SSD drive (obviously). It will not see the SSD drive in the dock. I can click on the properties of the drive, and it will show Intel SS DSA2CW120G3 USB Device. I am wondering if I need the drive connected with a SATA cable for the drive tools to work (the SATA dock is currently running over USB because my laptop didn't have a E-SATA port, and I haven't bought a SATA PC card).

I was going to at least try to do a secure erase on the drive before I RMA it. But I was also goign to see if I could updata the firmware, etc... to seeif it had any effect. I am wondering if my failure is a bit different than most as it does not show 8GB of free space, it shows capacity of 0MB, Unallocated of 0MB, and Reserved of 0MB. I'm sure like many folks I went with a SSD to improve speed and relaibilty, at this point, I am not very happy with the reliabilty of this device.

0 Kudos
0 Replies